Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Regulator/check valve at carb leaking

The check valve, or as another thread contributor called it, a fuel pressure regulator as seen in an emissions booklet, is leaking fuel when the vehicle is running. I pulled out the unit, which has 1 inlet and 1outlet and is cylindrical, and noticed a factory pin hole on the edge. The unit reads Solex 07D76A. What is the purpose of that hole as that is the source of the leak. The unit is mounted horizontal and the hole is on the underside. Maybe orientation is incorrect?? I am a 35 year owner and don’t recall ever messing with that. Has been leaking for some time now, Just never delved into it. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim

Just checked my Haynes and they also reference it as a fuel pressure regulator.
    Last edited by Jimmyspirits; 3rd August 2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Adding info

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Regulator/check valve at carb leaking

Its a check valve, so it only allows flow one way. If the car ran, I doubt you had it the wrong way around. If its leaking, you'll need to replace it. If nothing else, with a piece of pipe to join the hoses together. Does it look like this?
    <https://www.midwest-bayless.com/LANCIA-BETA-0_p-8041-82340519-oe-fuel-check-valve-lancia-beta-oe-nos.aspx>

If so, you can always replace it with this:
    <https://www.midwest-bayless.com/LANCIA-BETA-0_p-22001-4362497-check-valve-for-fuel-supply-7mm-fiat-lancia-all-carbureted-new-aluminum.aspx>

Dave

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for that Dave. It does look
    Like that for the most part. Just don’t understand the factory pin hole in the unit. When I said orientation, I meant hole on the top as opposed to the underside as it has an arrow for direction of flow so can’t mess that up. Thanks again. Jim
    Last edited by Jimmyspirits; 3rd August 2019 at 10:40 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's primarily a fuel pressure stabilizer:
    https://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/b26570.htm

It needs to be oriented vertically (arrow pointing up) to work properly, as it just holds a large BB that rests upon a seat at the intake end -- fuel flow pushes the ball up off the seat, and the weight of the ball against the flow smooths out "pulses" in delivery pressure caused by a reciprocating fuel pump, such as a mechanical pump or solenoid-driven piston type of electric pump (e.g. the common Facet "cube" style pump). I have no idea what the pinhole on the edge is for, or in what condition it's meant to function.

Secondarily it acts as a weak check valve as the ball rests on its seat, albeit not very effective as there's no positive spring pressure pressing on the ball. If you've got a rotary-action electric fuel pump (like the Carter P90091 I recommend), you can just replace it with a proper check valve like the one Dave linked above, or this appears to be the same thing cheaper:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/254279648484

Better quality would probably be the brass ones from Airtex (CV8000), Delphi (FA10016), or Carter (169-1002).
    Best regards,
    -Tye (1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider)

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."
    -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great info as always SubG and much appreciated. It’s been mounted horizontally for years but I will try vertically mounting it to see if the leaking stops out the hole. The pump installed is actually original to my knowledge and not sure which style it is or how to tell. Can’t find a name on it anywhere. Just numbers that don’t show up on a search. I actually reached out to Pierce with regards to the pin hole to see if he could shed some light on that. Purchased from him in the past. Thanks again. Jim
    1978 Lancia Beta Sedan.

Downloads
    Uploads

The fact you have the pressure stabilizer fitted probably indicates the stock pump was a piston/reciprocating type.

Please do followup here if you hear back from Pierce about that pin hole, been wondering about that myself for some time now.
    Best regards,
    -Tye (1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider)

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."
    -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

He hasn’t responded but I will follow up if he does. I did install it like you suggested but still leaks out that hole. I wonder if I could just plug it without consequences. Does leaking indicate the the regulator has failed I wonder. Thanks as always. Jim
    1978 Lancia Beta Sedan.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    The fact you have the pressure stabilizer fitted probably indicates the stock pump was a piston/reciprocating type.

Please do followup here if you hear back from Pierce about that pin hole, been wondering about that myself for some time now.
    Hey SubG,

I spoke to Mike Pierce and Pierce Manifolds and he couldn’t tell me what the hole on the top of the fuel stabilizer is. Gonna just order another from him. He also said that his has a diaphragm inside and not a ball bearing so maybe they’ve changed them and he also never saw one fail so..... I’ll repost after I install new one to see how she runs. Regards. Jim
    1978 Lancia Beta Sedan.

Thread Information