New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking for some guidance - Manually turning engine to find TDC - '76 Scorpion

Hi All,

I am trying to get a long dormant Scorpion running again.

Ran when parked

Went out to play with the car to get here back up and running, installed a battery and cranked but found no spark.

Ordered up a new coil as the one in there looked to be at least 20 years old.

Installed per the instructions and still no spark.

Ordered up points, condenser, wires and a cap just to be certain there were no hidden faults.

Got the points in and set, condenser won't fit, simply too big but that's another story. Ordered another and while I'm waiting I figured I'd try to get the engine to TDC to set the timing.

Now for the question.....Where the heck can I grab anything that will let me spin the motor?

Simply bumping the starter is too imprecise to get there.

On the crank side there seems to be a hex..pretty big but way recessed in the pulley for the A/C and such. And looks to need a very thin wall socket to be able to fit on it.

The little window on the top of the tranny is partly blocked by the emissions Air pump so I can't seem to lever anything through that.

If I grab the air pump input pulley on the end of the cam....nope not a suggestion of budging.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Jay
    Near Boston

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Looking for some guidance - Manually turning engine to find TDC - '76 Scorpion

One way is to put it into 4th gear and give the car a little nudge forward to bump the engine over. There is a timing mark on the crank pulley and marks on the timing cover but they are hard to see. Best way is if you can get a look at the flywheel through the opening in the bellhousing somehow, flashlight, mirror, remove the smog pump, etc. You should be able to see a small arrow on the flywheel. The marks on the bellhousing are as follows: mark closest to the firewall is 0 TDC, middle one is 5° advance, last one to the rear is 10° advance. Also, when timing the Scorpion, use cyl #4 for your timing light, NOT #1 like just about every other car on the planet.

I just thought of another method to determine TDC. You can look at the small holes in timing gears and marks on the cam boxes too. Line them up and you have TDC.

Hope this helps,

Mac
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190723_193434690.jpg   IMG_20190723_193523640.jpg  
    Last edited by macster; 23rd July 2019 at 08:51 PM.
    1977 Scorpion #1605
    1974 X1/9
    1968 XKE 2+2
    1961 Corvette Fuel Injected
    2003 Corvette Coupe
    1971 Titan Mk 6A Formula Ford
    1999 Chevy Tahoe

Ebay ID: swiftdb1

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Looking for some guidance - Manually turning engine to find TDC - '76 Scorpion

Hello Jay,

It has been a long time since I have had to do it, but if I recall I think I used a socket, don't remember what size.

Another option is to remove a V-belt and use a strap wrench.

I don't feel comfortable turning the engine by the camshaft; I'd be concerned about skipping a tooth on the timing belt.

Best regards,

Tony K.

Downloads
    Uploads

DO it as macster says however it is not nessecery so that when the cam belts are correctas in the picture everything is all right. the points have to be just opening and the mark on the crancshaft as to be on the right point. Do not try to turn the cam belts as that will almost certenlany do jumpthe belt
    R16, Moretti 124S & 850S, Mini Cooper,OpelGT1900, Ford capri 1.6GT, Toyota MK2 & Liftback, Fiat 126 & X1/9,Triumph TR7, CX, Audi 5E, Porsche 924,944 & Carrera GT, Ford probe V6, Lancia Beta-Delta-Kappa-Montecarlo, Alfa GTV 2.0TS, Mercedes SLK171

Experienced Lancista tangmonster's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

on my 78 basket case 2l beta berlina I recently purchased , the nut is a 38mm I purchased a cheap impact socket which i use to turn engine over with wrench when spark plugs are removed.

thank you for that image macster i have been really struggling to find the mark on the flywheel. I actually found TDC by using a dial indicator on the cylinder. knowing now that i should look for small triangle i'll have a look again.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks all of you guys!!

I think I will try the bump forward without the plugs in approach and see how I make out.

J

Quote Originally Posted by tangmonster View Post
    on my 78 basket case 2l beta berlina I recently purchased , the nut is a 38mm I purchased a cheap impact socket which i use to turn engine over with wrench when spark plugs are removed.

thank you for that image macster i have been really struggling to find the mark on the flywheel. I actually found TDC by using a dial indicator on the cylinder. knowing now that i should look for small triangle i'll have a look again.

Thread Information