Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

New owner - rust prevention

I am now (Or will be on Sunday) a new owner of a 71 S2 Red Coupe........thanks to all for the info and advice.

As I intend to use the car year round in the UK I want to ensure its prepared for the wet weather.

I checked in the download section and translated the Swedish 'Tectyl' suggested cavity drilling/applications.

Is that perceived to be a good guide for rust protection/prevention?
    I will use Bilt-Hamber Dynax S50

Cheers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: New owner - rust prevention

Firstly, congrats on the purchase!

The diagram in the tectyl guide seems a little basic to me in that it may be hard to correlate between the simple shapes and arrows there and where you actually should put the anti rust compound. For instance, number 22 on the guide is pretty vague, but I'm assuming that it's pointing to the triangular boxed section adjacent to the subframe boxes. Maybe the descriptions are more helpful but my pdf reader is not recognizing it as text so I can't paste it into google translate (I'm too lazy to manually type it into google).

I would just get the car on a lift and try to get any part of the car that's a boxed or enclosed section.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, i'll do just that...get it in the air and get hands on familiarity with the boxed sections....assuming drill, fill (With chosen cavity wax) and plug.....with rubber plugs ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Robin4963 View Post
    Thanks, i'll do just that...get it in the air and get hands on familiarity with the boxed sections....assuming drill, fill (With chosen cavity wax) and plug.....with rubber plugs ?
    Sounds like the proper procedure to me. For the rear sub frame arms, drill them but don't plug them on the bottom. They have a hole at the top but not at the bottom and are unable to drain if they get water in them. Some people even weld up the holes on the top! Maybe someone else will chime in about plugging the spots after treatment though, as some locations may be better off without a plug to allow draining if water does find it's way in there.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for clarifying......also very much enjoying your restoration thread, I'll also be referring back to that over time I'm sure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Robin4963 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying......also very much enjoying your restoration thread, I'll also be referring back to that over time I'm sure.
    Glad you're enjoying it; I feel like it really drives me to make at least some progress on a weekly basis because I'm so used to posting an update after every weekend now.

Thread Information