Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fulvia brake bleeding?

Seems no matter what you do Fulvia S1 brakes are hard to bleed?

Any suggestions?

I installed a brand new Fiat master cylinder and expected what i normally find on normal cars but it wasn't to be.
    Will start on the rear bleed tomorrow as there is obvious fluid at that end of the master cylinder.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Fulvia brake bleeding?

Yep, they are rather hard to bleed.

I follow the Lancia instructions: take a glass bottle, fill in a bit of brake fluid, and put that bottle slightly higher than the bleed nipple, with a clear tube going from the nipple to the bottle, end in the fluid in the bottle. You got to be best with two, one pushing the brake pedal, the other opening and closing the nipple. Apply strong pedal strokes (to get the air out at the top of the brake cylinders). Normal procedure is to start at the shortest line, and work your way to the longest connection.

I haven't tried it yet, but I recently got me a device to bleed the brake fluid under pressure (kind of hand pump, comparable to water sprayers for flowers). Still need to arrange for a suitable adapter. I am told it makes life easier using this.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't really understand why hard to bleed since i am using a new Fiat master cylinder, unless it's something to do with the lines?

The master cylinder doesn't know it's being used in a non Fiat and the Lancia shouldn't have any say in the matter.

I used some rubber grease to fit the remote reservoir connections , maybe that blocked the entry?

Downloads
    Uploads

I was assuming the flow is "normal". It is sometimes quite hard to get ALL air bubbles out on S1. But this sounds like there is more to it...

With the non-standard master present, I am a bit out of my depth on that... Surely, you want to go sparingly on the brake grease if that is what you have been using.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Surely, you want to go sparingly on the brake grease if that is what you have been using."

Yes, the reservoir inlets were very hard to get in dry, so i used some grease.
    Good flow on the rear but not on the front line outlet.
    Will pull the master cylinder out tomorrow and test it on the bench.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    Yep, they are rather hard to bleed.

Normal procedure is to start at the shortest line, and work your way to the longest connection.
    Is the Lancia different. I thought you always started at the bleeder furthest from the MC and worked to the closest?

Downloads
    Uploads

Series 1 has separate front and back circuits so you can do in any order you like (ie 2 rear or 2 front starting with the shortest run of each). series 2/3 has superduplex meaning 1 seperate front circuit and one combined rear/front circuit. with this start at the back nearest to the m/c then the small piston at the front (thats the combined circuit). Then the big pistons at the front nearest to the MC first.

S2/3 (not sure of S1) has a rear brake limit valve. You need to bleed with the axle up in normal position not dropped down as fluid will not flow to the back... Anyway it does not flow fast and I have found rigging up a low <10psi pressure head to the MC speeds the process up tremendously. However the Lancia Fulvia MC filler hole needs a custom (you design) connection to your low pressure source. Ezibleed etc do not fit without imagination!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    S2/3 (not sure of S1) has a rear brake limit valve.
    Late S1 (1,3S and the '69 Berlina - but not the Fanalone) have a brake limiter on the rear brakes. Not sure if this is the same thing as on S2/3.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    Late S1 (1,3S and the '69 Berlina - but not the Fanalone) have a brake limiter on the rear brakes. Not sure if this is the same thing as on S2/3.
    Those later S1 cars with Dunlop brakes AND a brake limiter are different from the S2/3 cars as the brake limiter on those S2/3 cars are activated by the rear axle position - Late S1 cars are just a pressure limiter on the engine bulkhead.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

If a brake system is stubborn to bleed it's always worth checking that the caliper nipples aren't blocked with accumulated crud and also check you're getting a full plunger stroke on the MC.

Thread Information