Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fulvia EFI!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Fulvia EFI!

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i think i'd spend a little time looking closer at the individual tb setup. if they were staggered to take care of the different length intake tracts there might be room for everything to fit. granted, the linkage may be complicated, or the intake splayed out a bit, but that's what engineering is all about right?
    I managed to finally find someone willing to sell me some throttle bodies with the shafts vertical. The guys at Jenvey have told me they can get their ST throttle bodies without injectors to mount 63mm apart with vertical throttle shafts (77mm is the minimum with the shafts in the normal direction). The Solex bore spacing is 60, but 63 is pretty damn close!

The only caveat is they really don't sell linkage solutions for this style of mounting and they definitely wanted to steer me toward DCOE pattern TBs but I really like the idea of keeping it compact. The other thing is I will need to make an intake manifold that will accept the injectors as close downstream of the butterfly as possible, but these issues are much easier to solve than making my own throttle body from scratch and trying to deal with the very tight tolerances between butterfly and bore, etc.

If i mount them all at 65mm spacing, the length from the center of the first bore to the center of the last bore will be exactly the same as stock! Exactly what I've been looking for this whole time.

One interesting thing the guy said was that he thought 40mm TBs would be okay. I was thinking 35mm, but he seemed to think that it didn't matter as long as you don't go way too big. With modern ECUs it seems the computer can sort everything out without issues like you'd have with carbs. It makes sense, but I still don't know if I want to go quite that big. I've got some thinking to do before ordering the ones I want, but it's good to have a solution now for the narrow fulvia bore spacing!

ST Throttle Body:
    https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-...5mm-body-0-inj

ST Throttle Body Drawing:
    https://store.jenvey.co.uk/pub/media...gs/ST_BBW3.pdf

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good find. Interesting they do a tapered bore option. The 42mm option looks to have potential for 1600s. Are you still thinking a billet manifold connecting to the existing heated manifold which incorporates the injectors? I like your idea of trying to match existing spacing. If you go 35mm are you thinking connecting the existing filter box could be an option? Does the spacing match it? I could dig one out and measure if you don’t have a spare. Which injectors are you thinking?
    I’m amazed how resourceful you are with this stuff. Can’t wait to see where you go with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by willn View Post
    Good find. Interesting they do a tapered bore option. The 42mm option looks to have potential for 1600s. Are you still thinking a billet manifold connecting to the existing heated manifold which incorporates the injectors? I like your idea of trying to match existing spacing. If you go 35mm are you thinking connecting the existing filter box could be an option? Does the spacing match it? I could dig one out and measure if you don’t have a spare. Which injectors are you thinking?
    I’m amazed how resourceful you are with this stuff. Can’t wait to see where you go with it.

I could do a billet piece that adapts the spacing and houses the injectors, but I might also just try and fabricate a new intake manifold. The hard part in fabricating (for me at least) will be making it taper as it approaches the cylinder head since the port on the head are 30mm and the ITB bores will be 35. Still a lot to figure out though. Intake design is a lot more complicated than I had assumed before reading into it and a CNC piece would probably be the easier solution

I was actually thinking of trying to use a stock filter box if possible! I'd need to buy myself a spare eventually because the spacing would be a little different so it would require some modification to make it work, but I think it would definitely be possible. It would however, make attaching velocity stacks harder since there's limited room inside the airbox.

For injectors I was thinking I'd go with the PICO style 330cc injectors. They're for sure overkill for this engine, but it doesn't seem like they're so big they couldn't work well.

I'm excited to get started with mocking this up on my spare engine. I think the first thing will be picking the diameter and getting the ITBs ordered; probably sometime in Jan or Feb of next year. After that I'll start mocking up an intake manifold. I've been practicing my Aluminum TIG welding lately to get ready lol.

Edit: Made a quick model to see what the intake bores in the adapter would look like and the centers are so close it almost doesn't make sense to waste time making a fully custom manifold. Here is a view looking through the adapter.

Last edited by Taddraughn; 13th November 2019 at 04:25 PM.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

First impressions are it looks a no brainer, especially when you consider the challenges of fabricating a radius bend tapering water heated manifold and/or diversion of heater hoses, thermostat housing, oil breather pipe etc, etc. I don’t know much at all about this but would the original velocity stacks not work wel, or only optimised to work well with Solexes. If so maybe another narrow billet to interface the throttle body bolt holes with intake manifold holes.

if a throttle mechanism could be made to work off the existing mounting holes, even better, but as you say that is probably the hardest part. Don ‘t know if Jenvey have a 3D file for the throttle body - only PDF on the website that I can see. If they do might be worth a 3D point scan on the manifold and throttle mechanism and importing into a 3D model to play with. A bolt on solution if it can be made to work well would probably interest a lot of people, as you know.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by willn View Post
    First impressions are it looks a no brainer, especially when you consider the challenges of fabricating a radius bend tapering water heated manifold and/or diversion of heater hoses, thermostat housing, oil breather pipe etc, etc. I don’t know much at all about this but would the original velocity stacks not work wel, or only optimised to work well with Solexes. If so maybe another narrow billet to interface the throttle body bolt holes with intake manifold holes.

if a throttle mechanism could be made to work off the existing mounting holes, even better, but as you say that is probably the hardest part. Don ‘t know if Jenvey have a 3D file for the throttle body - only PDF on the website that I can see. If they do might be worth a 3D point scan on the manifold and throttle mechanism and importing into a 3D model to play with. A bolt on solution if it can be made to work well would probably interest a lot of people, as you know.
    The 2D drawings on their website are definitely made from 3D models, but I doubt they'd want to share them with me. Guess I could ask though; the worst they could say is no. I've been very busy on the weekends lately, but when I have some time I think I will sit down and try to make a good model of the stock intake manifold. At the very least I want to get the flanges modeled and in the right places in 3D space so I can make the adapter match the features of the manifold well.

I'll upload some photos when I make progress with the modelling. Half of my job is making 3D models so most of the time when I go home I don't really have the urge to make more of them lol

Thread Information