Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fulvia EFI!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Fulvia EFI!

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    Thanks for posting up those pictures; Stick out is really not too much at all. I forgot that the coils would be in line with the cylinder angles; that makes the job of securing them properly a little more difficult but not impossible.

I like how neat plug wiring is on that Mazda engine; It does appear to be a wasted spark set up as I can only see two coils and looks like 1&4 and 2&3 to the same coils.
    i don't think it would be too tough to fab up a shroud that hovers above the valve cover. i didn't put more than one coil in to check the spacing, but there's enough room to make the right angles. i would make it out of 1/8 aluminum sheet as it forms easily.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I could bend something up that would work to hold them and look good. I'll have to visit the scrap yard and find a few to use for mocking up a template for the shroud.

I did also get in the GSR400 throttle bodies yesterday. They seem very promising as they start around 36mm and taper to 30mm at the throttle plates. They also have secondary throttles but these ones are servo controlled so I'd have greater control over them if I decided to use them. However, since the size so closely matches the stock solex venturi size, it seems like I should be able to just remove the secondaries.

The big question is.. is this cast aluminum weldable? If so I could just out the middle part of the casting as needed, get good fit up and just tig it back together. Perhaps if not weldable I could just using some brazing rod to attach the halves together.

Last edited by Taddraughn; 27th June 2019 at 11:33 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Im watching this thread with interest to see how you get on. A fuel injected fulvia also on the list of projects for my fulvia race car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC_0004.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	622.7 KB 
ID:	14947
    This is the set up that was running on a fulvia engine a few years ago. The connections between the throttle bodies and the manifold was with flexible tube. Not my own but I now have this set up to go on the race car in the future. I think they were also GSXR throttle bodies and a set of Ford coils running a lost spark system.

Name:	crank sensor.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	807.7 KB 
ID:	14948 the crank sensor.

Name:	justin fulvia.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	14950Also heres an injection system from a well known British 1436 cc modified fulvia. The throttle bodies for this were one off's made for this car. The car ran a kugelfischer injection pump system and a lot of special modifications and made 132 HP at the wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails justin fulvia.jpg  
    series 1 1200 fulvia coupe rolling restoration
    series 1 1300 fulvia coupe rallye definitely in bits

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lukestew View Post
    Im watching this thread with interest to see how you get on. A fuel injected fulvia also on the list of projects for my fulvia race car.

Name:	PIC_0004.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	622.7 KB 
ID:	14947
    This is the set up that was running on a fulvia engine a few years ago. The connections between the throttle bodies and the manifold was with flexible tube. Not my own but I now have this set up to go on the race car in the future. I think they were also GSXR throttle bodies and a set of Ford coils running a lost spark system.

Name:	crank sensor.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	807.7 KB 
ID:	14948 the crank sensor.

Name:	justin fulvia.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	14950Also heres an injection system from a well known British 1436 cc modified fulvia. The throttle bodies for this were one off's made for this car. The car ran a kugelfischer injection pump system and a lot of special modifications and made 132 HP at the wheels.
    Thanks for the images! They're quite helpful. Those do appear to be GSXR TBs but I don't think they're the same as the ones I have. Looks like it says keihin on there.. the smaller of the ones I have are mikuni I think. Do you happen to know what diameter those TBs are?

It'll probably be a little while before I make any serious progress on the EFI set-up though because I'm focusing on getting the car going and my budget for it is really non existent at the moment. It also depends on how well the little 818.100 runs in the car once I have the car back together. If it doesn't run well or has a lot of blow by etc. (I didn't touch the bottom end at all so not sure about piston wall wear), I may push the 1.3 rebuild up in front of the EFI project to get the bigger engine in the car. I'll be sure to post any updates or progress that I make in here though.

By the way, if you start making progress on EFI of your own feel free to post that progress in this thread, I'd love to see your component choices, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

I will have to get the throttle bodies out of storage to measure them but I think they possibly were from a 1000cc bike if I remember right. The manifold was a nicely made piece of aluminium.

Name:	DSC_0664.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	14951
    The control system that I am favouring at the moment is the Megasquirt as they are infinitely tuneable and control the whole thing fuel and electrics. I like the idea of being able to control the whole thing electronically. I know most of the Lancia guys are now about to have a heart attack about that and shout about originality etc. I like a bit of electronics and am not afraid of a bit of computer stuff.
    There are a few people who have done the fuel injection fulvia thing before apparently including Lancia themselves. Theres also Carlo Stellas famous zagato competzione with an injection engine developed by Baggioli. that had 140 HP apparently !!!

Name:	fuel injected fulvia engine.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	14952

After alot of digging about for info on fuel injection fulvias over the years. I met a guy a Brooklands earlier in the year who had a very nice set up in his fulvia which was at first glance a set of large webber carbs. The engine was probably the most smoothly running fulvia Ive ever heard. The system was a "Jenvey" set up and was quite impressive. Though the price tag that he hinted at, but he wouldnt say, was definitely out of my budget. I will try to get the photo I took uploaded.

Name:	Leclucas3.jpg 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	14953

Paul's injection Fulvia with a Lucas pump and alot of other mods. Sadly this car is no more but alot of development has been going into another car which should be running again soon...ish?
    series 1 1200 fulvia coupe rolling restoration
    series 1 1300 fulvia coupe rallye definitely in bits

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lukestew View Post
    I will have to get the throttle bodies out of storage to measure them but I think they possibly were from a 1000cc bike if I remember right. The manifold was a nicely made piece of aluminium.

Name:	DSC_0664.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	14951
    The control system that I am favouring at the moment is the Megasquirt as they are infinitely tuneable and control the whole thing fuel and electrics. I like the idea of being able to control the whole thing electronically. I know most of the Lancia guys are now about to have a heart attack about that and shout about originality etc. I like a bit of electronics and am not afraid of a bit of computer stuff.
    There are a few people who have done the fuel injection fulvia thing before apparently including Lancia themselves. Theres also Carlo Stellas famous zagato competzione with an injection engine developed by Baggioli. that had 140 HP apparently !!!

Name:	fuel injected fulvia engine.JPG 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	14952

After alot of digging about for info on fuel injection fulvias over the years. I met a guy a Brooklands earlier in the year who had a very nice set up in his fulvia which was at first glance a set of large webber carbs. The engine was probably the most smoothly running fulvia Ive ever heard. The system was a "Jenvey" set up and was quite impressive. Though the price tag that he hinted at, but he wouldnt say, was definitely out of my budget. I will try to get the photo I took uploaded.

Name:	Leclucas3.jpg 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	14953

Paul's injection Fulvia with a Lucas pump and alot of other mods. Sadly this car is no more but alot of development has been going into another car which should be running again soon...ish?
    Hmm.. Perhaps the 38mm ones I have will be fine instead of the 31mm ones. I was worried 38 would be on the large side, but those Jenvey Weber look-a-likes are 40mm. But yes, the Jenvey ones are terribly expensive, and IMO the Weber set up takes up too much space in the engine bay.

Like you, I'm definitely interested in using electronic controls for everything. Changing fueling or ignition curves with a few clicks on my laptop sounds like a dream vs worrying with the solex carbs that I don't understand. I took a look at Megasquirt as well when I started researching EFI, but I think I want the support of a real ECU company when I have issues. Not to say there isn't support with megasquirt, because there's a big forum with people who are happy to help people with their issues. It seems most any standalone ECU is up to the task of controlling a fulvia engine with sequential injection and ignition.

As far as originality, I'm not too worried because no one around here (Mississippi) even knows what a lancia is!
    Last edited by Taddraughn; 12th August 2019 at 04:13 PM.

Thread Information