Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    New Lancista
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Decisions - lancia

    Hi from Australia. I have just joined the 'Community'.

    I'm keen to buy a Classic Lancia for club activities, runs etc. The car needs to be over thirty years old to qualify for Special Interest registration etc. My preference is for a RHD car, which I'm aware, does limit my opportunities.

    My budget is a bit limited so here are the three cars I'm interested in together with my qualifications...

    70s Cars
    1. Lancia Montecarlo Series 2
    Fabulous looking car but I have concerns that it might be too tight, I'm 6'2". With no steering wheel adjustment, I understand that getting a comfortable driving position might be impossible.

    2. Lancia Fulvia Coupe Series 2
    Full of charm, looks to die for. Series 1 considered to be the best but I prefer a 5 speed box and better brakes.

    80s Car
    3. Lancia Beta Zagato Spider Series 2
    Perhaps the most comfortable to drive and probably more affordable, but does it have sex appeal?

    Appreciate any feedback about how to decide? Especially, from members who have any or all.

  2. #2
    Legendary Lancista 1,6 HF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    5,492
    Downloads
    42
    Uploads
    52

    Re: Decisions - lancia

    Welcome to the forum.

    A few thoughts:
    1. You should be able to fit in a Fulvia at 6'-2"; if it’s tight you may be able to modify the seat runners (though I believe this is easier with an S1)

    2. Whether 4-speed or 5-speed, top gear is direct; the 5-speed has closer ratios, not an overdrive top. The real difference is in the gearstick, and that’s a question of personal preference. The common wisdom that the S2 Girling brakes are better is more common than wisdom; at this point condition is more important than spec. The fastest of the Fulvias, the 1,6HF, won a rally championship with the S1 Dunlop brakes.

    3. The Beta Coupé / Spider is a roomier inside than a Fulvia. Sex appeal is in the eye (or elsewhere) of the beholder.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

  3. #3
    New Lancista
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Decisions - lancia

    Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

    A few thoughts:
    1. You should be able to fit in a Fulvia at 6'-2"; if it’s tight you may be able to modify the seat runners (though I believe this is easier with an S1)

    2. Whether 4-speed or 5-speed, top gear is direct; the 5-speed has closer ratios, not an overdrive top. The real difference is in the gearstick, and that’s a question of personal preference. The common wisdom that the S2 Girling brakes are better is more common than wisdom; at this point condition is more important than spec. The fastest of the Fulvias, the 1,6HF, won a rally championship with the S1 Dunlop brakes.

    3. The Beta Coupé / Spider is a roomier inside than a Fulvia. Sex appeal is in the eye (or elsewhere) of the beholder.
    Thanks Ed
    Presume you mean, I might be OK to fit in a Montecarlo?

    Think i need to check one out but not too many cars, Montecarlo or Fulvia, about.
    Cheers

  4. #4
    Legendary Lancista 1,6 HF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    5,492
    Downloads
    42
    Uploads
    52

    Re: Decisions - lancia

    Oh -- sorry; I read that as a Fulvia Montecarlo. Yes -- you shouldn't have any problem fitting in a Beta Montecarlo
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

  5. #5
    Master Lancista
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    home
    Posts
    185
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Decisions - lancia

    The Montecarlo is a little tight to get in and out of, but once in there it should fit like a glove. Not as much room as some cars but handles better than any of the three. Not stunning power in stock form but easily modifiable for more. Definitely the most fun. Probably the least practical with no back seat but has a big trunk. The Fulvia is not overly powered but is light weight and has a light feeling about it. The Beta Zagato is the most modern feeling and likely the most versatile and practical with front drive, back seat, good trunk, targa and convertible tops, nice handling and good power with the 2L FI. At least here in the US. I'm not sure what series 2 spec is there. It can be a little hard to work on with all that fit sideways in the engine bay, so small hands help. Which one should you buy? I don't know. My recommendation is to drive all 3 and see what you like.

  6. #6
    New Lancista
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Decisions - lancia

    Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    Oh -- sorry; I read that as a Fulvia Montecarlo. Yes -- you shouldn't have any problem fitting in a Beta Montecarlo
    Thanks Ed

  7. #7
    New Lancista
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Decisions - lancia

    Quote Originally Posted by LanciaDave View Post
    The Montecarlo is a little tight to get in and out of, but once in there it should fit like a glove. Not as much room as some cars but handles better than any of the three. Not stunning power in stock form but easily modifiable for more. Definitely the most fun. Probably the least practical with no back seat but has a big trunk. The Fulvia is not overly powered but is light weight and has a light feeling about it. The Beta Zagato is the most modern feeling and likely the most versatile and practical with front drive, back seat, good trunk, targa and convertible tops, nice handling and good power with the 2L FI. At least here in the US. I'm not sure what series 2 spec is there. It can be a little hard to work on with all that fit sideways in the engine bay, so small hands help. Which one should you buy? I don't know. My recommendation is to drive all 3 and see what you like.
    Many thanks, useful advice.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •