Downloads
    Uploads

Alternative ventilation/heating fan for S1 coupe.

I had to renew the whole cooling/ventilation system of my Fulvia Coupe 1.3 (S1). Both cooling radiator and heater radiator were slightly leaking. In addition, the ventilation/heating fan stopped working.

So apart from changing the cooling radiator I decided to overhaul the whole of the ventilation box (NOT looking forward to get it out, it is a terrible job to get it out from underneath). I had a spare small fan motor refurbished (put in a small ball bearing in front instead of the simple bush). When re-assembling I tested the fan in the box, and discovered that even with a refurbished motor giving normal performance, the output of the fan is still so very much poor that it reminded me of the remark of a test drive at the time the Fulvia (S1) were new, and one test driver describing the ventilation system as "pathetic".
    With some reluctance I decided to change the setup to something not original, but at least better working (I made several changes to my Fulvia, but always keeping in mind I need to be able to restore it back to its original state; I drive the Fulvia something like 6000 - 10000 km yearly, often over long distances far from home, so it needs to be reliable and capable of dealing with modern traffic conditions). I can accept this change to non-original as it is absolutely not visible (actually, it is very hard to get at it!)

Huib (Netherlands, Breda) was so kind to hand me a modern fan normally used for cooling in computer systems and similar. An EBM-PAPST 4182 NX. Interesting characteristics: 7 - 15V DC, ball bearing, temp. range -30 to +75 Celsius, about O,4A (4 - 5 W). The original fan uses almost 3A (which is incidentally almost 10% of the power available from the dynamo!), or about 35W. I can't compare the air flow since I have no specifications of the original, but this fan has a much stronger airflow compared to the "pathetic" original (centrifugal) fan.

Installing it was rather easy really, see pictures below. Drill four small additional holes, arrange some spacers, self-tapping screws; and a hole with grommet for the wires to route them to the original location, and done. The airflow result is maybe still not what we are used to from the highest setting of a ventilation fan in a modern car, but at least now it is reasonable (the whole ventilation system of S1 Fulvia has that much "drag" that a strong airflow can hardly be expected).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190516_163410-small.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	14768

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190516_163505-small.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	14769
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Alternative ventilation/heating fan for S1 coupe.

Interesting! I've thought about changing out the fan to be more powerful so it's useful to have the characteristics of the one you've used.

Any noticeable increase in fan noise going with the computer type fan vs the other type?

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Alternative ventilation/heating fan for S1 coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    Any noticeable increase in fan noise going with the computer type fan vs the other type?
    I didn't pay particular attention to that aspect. The Fulvia is noisy anyway when driving. The new fan is about the same sound level as the original it seems to me (which was also noisy). I guess the box kind of acts as a "sound box". Maybe if you would mount the fan on rubbers instead of "hard" mounted as I did, you could reduce the noise (in computers, they have special rubber fittings to mount the fans to reduce the effect of the box acting as a noise conductor).

Btw, Huib hasn't been selecting this fan arbitrary. The fan is BEHIND the heater in the air flow, which means it has to be able to stand HOT air. This fan can go up to 75 Celsius, while most computer fans don't go that high in max temp limit (it is also interesting it can go down to -30 Celsius, while most have their limit at 0 Celsius).
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information