Re: Sudden loss of spark

condenser = capacitor, at least in the US

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. Done some wrenching:

Coil reads 1.8 ohm and 5,500 ohm.
    Is this too low?
    Can’t confirm any specs online, but it is an original Magneti Marelli unit (bzr200a). Car is standard.

Other than that- I confirm:
    - no loose or disconnected wiring that I can see;
    - fuses 1&2 and all others are fine;
    - rotor arm in tact;
    - 4x new spark plugs installed,

and still no luck.

How do I check the condenser?

Downloads
    Uploads

coil seems fine.

Do you get 12v at the coil+ when ignition on?? Could be the ignition switch.....

Re condenser you remove the distributor cap and it is the cyclinder thing on the contact breaker plate. This should not stop the spark IMHO but would lead to bad running. Anyway best to replace if poss or check crudely with an ohmeter (analoque) set to hi ohms and test one way then the other - meter should kick and measure open circuit....

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have a ballast resistor? 1.8 ohm is too low to run without one and will burn out the coil.

Sean

Downloads
    Uploads

Tim is right, for the capacitor, with a ohmmeter should read open connection (after a brief flicker of some resistance at first). If there is some resistance, then it is definitely bad. But even when there is not indication of a short, don't count on it to still work under load. The best way to test is to replace it by a new one (and be careful with NOS capacitors, they may have become bad simply due to old age - capacitors of this type age). The issue is maybe NOT that the capacitor gives an open connection (that would not prevent sparking altogether, but possibly does gives bad running due to the sparking at the contact points, as Tim says). The more common issue is that the capacitor sometimes gives a short (maybe only under load, so you would not notice it with the ohmmeter). Is it missing of sparks all the time, or intermittent? If the ignition is not working at all, you could try temporary removing the capacitor, and see if you got some sparking (the engine may not run smoothly, but if everything else works, there should be sparks of some sort). If it is intermittent, that points even more to capacitor failing from time to time (giving a short).

Mind you, the capacitor is only one of several possible faults (see comments of others). I am only explaining because problems with the capacitor sometimes gives very strange effects, and it is often overlooked as a possible cause for trouble.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

A french friend gave me 220nanoFarad 850v capacitor as an alternative which he uses but fits in the existing capn to look the part.......

I havnt tried but I have no reason to doubt him as he only runs points cars.

https://www.amazon.fr/film-220-NF-Ax.../dp/B01I8WVKS2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

i'd check the voltage at the coil, and see if the distributor side shows the points opening and closing. i've seen the little wire going from the coil to the points go bad (open).
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Thread Information