Downloads
    Uploads

Fanalone Rear Suspension Modification

Dear Experts,
    I found a photo online that stirred my curiosity. It shows a Fulvia where the rear suspension has been modified by adding coil springs to the leaf spring. I saved the picture at the time, but can't find the original source any longer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fulvia_Spring.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	14766
    Has anyone seen or heard of this before? Looking forward to a lively discussion ranging from "that's absurd" to "just what the doctor prescribed"
    Bernt

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Fanalone Rear Suspension Modification

only thing i can think of is that they wanted an overload spring either for hard rally situations or heavily loading the car for vacation...
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure about this being a Fanalone specific mod. I have heard that this was provided by Peter Gerrish to a number of his Fulvia customers but from a related conversation it appears not to have been a very good idea....

Downloads
    Uploads

put me down for "that's absurd"
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    Not sure about this being a Fanalone specific mod.
    Probably not - but I remember that where I got the photo from, it was a Fanalone.

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    I have heard that this was provided by Peter Gerrish to a number of his Fulvia customers but from a related conversation it appears not to have been a very good idea....
    That's interesting. Still makes you wonder why it was retained.
    I'll continue to try and find the source of the picture.

Bernt

Downloads
    Uploads

When these cars where daily drivers or they are the only car owned, the extra coil spring sort of make sense to me if you had to carry heavy loads or, god forbid, have four adults in the car like Lancia had in one of its advertising photos.
    (And yes, I realise that the extra springs would seriously mess up the handling).

I once had no alternative but to put over 100kg of mortar mix bags in the boot of the coupe and had to drive home carefully as the suspension bottomed. It ocurred to me at the time that the Fulvia would not have worked for me during the 70s and 80s when I was doing building work.

If it was my only car back then, maybe I would have tried the extra springs
    Last edited by Old Man Wattsy; 17th May 2019 at 04:46 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Wattsy View Post
    (And yes, I realise that the extra springs would seriously mess up the handling).
    Why should a stiffer rear mess up handling?
    A stiffer rear should improve handling for a front drive car, as it will reduce understeer and give more wheel load to the front with more traction while cornering

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,3S2 View Post
    Why should a stiffer rear mess up handling?
    A stiffer rear should improve handling for a front drive car, as it will reduce understeer and give more wheel load to the front with more traction while cornering
    Far question.
    I suspect we are about elicit an avalanche of opinion.

So, onward with chin sticking out...
    From my experience, the handling of a coupe is best if the rear is relatively soft. Its controllable and the handling limit is more easily sensed.
    I drive of roads of variable quality rather than race tracks and have Koni adjustable shocks. Whenever I've had the rear shocks at any setting other than soft, the rear end steps out thru rough corners which can cause the underwear to change colour.

Also, adding a coil spring to a leaf spring can substantially changes the overall spring characteristics depending on whether the coil is preloaded and/or the relative stiffness of the coil. It would be interesting to see the extension/load graph and compare it to the original leaf spring design but guess that's not likely to happen.

You're correct is saying a stiffer rear will help understeer of a car and usually achieved with a stiffer rear ARB. However I'd suggest, and happy to be corrected, that the heavy front end of a Fulvia seems to act in a similar way to a three wheel Morgan when it comes to cornering and the front end, without any additional stiffening, may not handle as well with a stiff rear end.

(With trench coat on, I await incoming mud)
    Cheers, Mick
    Last edited by Old Man Wattsy; 17th May 2019 at 06:20 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m with Mick.

Don’t confuse spring ratios with roll stiffness. Extra rear roll stiffness can help cure understeer with FWD. Stiff rear springs or dampers, on the other hand, make it harder to keep the rear end planted. My HF came to me on classic ‘red’ Konis, and even at their softest setting, the rear tires were spending too much time off the tarmac. I found an NOS set of DeCarbon dampers, and that completely cured the handling. At least that’s been my experience.

Last edited by 1,6 HF; 19th May 2019 at 12:20 PM.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

I have to agree with Ed. A softer than stock spring rate improves the steering of the Coupe. My Hf coupe rides on composite leaf springs for about 10 years now and the rears are to be honest a tad to soft. Just okay for two people with one small weekend bag. Anything more bottoms it out but when driving alone the roadholding is awesome. I have a 18mm front- and a 16mm rear bar. To reduce roll.

cheers,
    william
    Last edited by Fulvia-hf; 19th May 2019 at 02:38 PM.

Thread Information