Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Front Jack Points - Illustration

Hi there. It has been a couple years, but I’m finally getting back to work on my 1967 Fulvia 1.2. The car has not benefited from sitting so long. The brake piston seals failed. So I decided to replace the original pistons with Huib's replacements, and have completed the job in the rear.

Now I'm moving to the front, and my first task is to jack up the front of the car. Although I’ve searched, I’ve not found an illustration of the correct front jack points.

I’m attaching a picture (not my car - I wish it looked so clean!).

Question: Are the yellow-circled areas acceptable points to place a floor jack, and jack stands? I was thinking of jacking in the center (with a block of wood as a spreader), and placing the stands on the ends of the subframes, at the mounts. Although there is some rust on the floor pan around the subframe mounts, the mounts themselves appear solid.

As always, I appreciate your guidance. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1971-lancia-fulvia-coupe.jackpoints.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	682.7 KB 
ID:	14765

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Front Jack Points - Illustration

Yes that's exactly where I jack the front end front up from - a trolley jack from the centre and jack stands under each sub-frame. A decent metal or wooden spreader is a good idea for the jack. The only thing I ever worry about is the jack slipping and punching a hole in the sump, but it's never happened yet. I think I read something that if the car creaks when jacking from this point it's a good indication that the subframe might be a problem so probably a good test, but there's nothing more solid to jack from as far as I know - certainly not the cill or cill jacking tabs which even when new must have been risky.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you! Appreciate it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Imho those are not the best places.

I jack at the suspension pick up points and arb mounts on the subframe and as I have confidence in the cars structure (I had the cills etc done with additional strengthening) I use axle stands on the cars 4 jacking points as necessary . Always use axle stands after jacking up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

i jack from the central cross member all the time. it's a good way to get both front wheels off the ground at the same time so you can place your jack stands. i haven't seen any stress problems from jacking there, the first time i did it i checked the fit of the doors as i brought it up to see if there were any body flexing issues and all was fine. that cross member spreads the load to both sides of the sub frame, and if the cross member and sub frame are sound there shouldn't be any problems.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

To be honest I always mostly jack the front under the 2 front mounts using a jacking beam

https://www.amazon.co.uk/vidaXL-Vehi...XWKHDV3N65DQQ4

I find the central one is so close to the bottom of the clutch bell housing......

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

for people in the states ,Harbour freight has one for under $50.Crossbeam Adapter #60762 Harbor Freight

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! I was looking at the Harbor Freight item, but my car sits way too low for clearance. With my low profile jack fully down, I only have about 1.5” of clearance to the cross member. Hopefully, getting proper tires fitted will help in this respect. In the meantime, I was thinking of using some steel box tubing as a spreader. Something like this: https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ng/A-p8256943e

Downloads
    Uploads

You start jacking with a small trolley jack under the arb to raise the car, then go big!

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please forgive my ignorance, but what does "arb" stand for? (I'm sure this is going to a "DOH!" moment.)

edit: occurred to me in the night...anti-roll bar. doh!
    Last edited by Hamiltonian; 15th May 2019 at 05:21 AM.

Thread Information