New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

problem with time belt covers on zagato1981

Originally Posted by ggarofalo
    I did changed the timebelt on a Lancia Beta sedan with engine1800cc with no probles.
    But with Lancia Zagat 2000cc the timebeltcover is metal and uder the main cranck shaft.
    Have anyone chang the timebelton eng.2000cc??
    Please let me know because I am lost.
    ggarofalo14@gmail.com

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Re: problem with time belt covers on zagato1981

Unsure of your question. There IS a 10mm (or 11, I forget) thru-bolt at the very bottom,
    "tip" of the timing belt cover that secures the cover to the engine (block?). it's kinda
    hidden. You should have had one on the 1.8 timing belt cover as well. Hope that helps.
    Replacing a belt (routing) is same/same regardless of block size. Always has been.
    And to address the obvious different size blocks take different size belts . . .
    Last edited by davidb; 13th May 2019 at 05:36 AM.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: problem with time belt covers on zagato1981

Sorry David, you're giving him optimistic information from when someone's been there before.
    Pardon me now while I make the evil laugh... then cry...
    On the later 2L cars, there was metal shielding on the back side of the timing belt cover. It really makes things difficult when you haven't pulled the motor out already. And even then its a hassle.
    The question then is, do you want to maintain this for the extra protection it provides the belt? Or for the sake of originality?
    If the answer is no, you can disassemble most of it with wrenches and sockets and then carefully cut part of it away with tin snips. It will likely be necessary to remove the crank pulley with an impact wrench too. If you cut it off, or disassemble and leave it off for now, timing belt jobs will be easier next time.
    The difficulty is you have to come at the bolts with wrenches from the back side of the belt. And there's little room to begin with.
    If you want to maintain the shielding, you will definitely have to pull the crank pulley...among other hassles. You probably want to reference the original workshop manual for doing this. I think you can download it here on the site somewhere?
    Make sure you have set all timing marks to TDC before you begin.
    Hopefully that gets you started.

Good luck,
    Dave

Thread Information