Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Member from Massachusetts - 1976 Scorpion

Hi, I just found this forum and decided it was about time that I joined. I have owned my 1976 Lancia Scorpion for about 40 years now. I am the second owner and bought the Scorpion after having three Fiat X1/9. I have always been a "car guy" and enjoy driving and working on cars. The Scorpion has always been somewhat of a project car. I had installed a 2 liter Fiat block after the original engine blew, and at different times installed higher performance cams, larger carburetor, Ansa exhaust, racing harness seat belts, etc. I have not been driving it much over the past few years, because I just have not had the time, but I want to get it back on the road.

The current issue that I have with the car is one that has existed for a while. The car will start fine when the engine is cold, but once it has warmed up, if you shut it off or if it stalls, it will not re-start until it cools off for about 20 minutes. I have re-built the carburetor, replaced the plugs, points and condensor, but can not figure out what the problem is. One thing that I am considering doing is to go with an electronic ignition, as I am a bit concerned that there might be an issue with heat affecting the distributor since with the Fiat 2 liter block, the distributor is right above the exhaust manifold. If anyone has experienced a similar situation, or can recommend a possible solution, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: New Member from Massachusetts - 1976 Scorpion

The larger issue is that you are using fiat cam housings. The camshaft oil bath is designed very differently between the fiat and lancia housings due to the 20 degree cant of the lancia engine. The fiat housing will not hold enough oil and eventually wipe out your exhaust camshaft. If you have the original lancia housings just use the and the lancia camshafts. You can change the distributor drive from the lancia distributor to the fiat distributor (electronic) the gear pattern is opposite. I have 5 scorpions and will gladly help when I can

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Beek,
    Thanks for your response. I am sure that I can learn a lot from someone with your experience with Scorpions. Just to clarify my situation, when my original engine blew a rod bearing, I had the block replaced with a 2 liter Fiat 124 block, but I am pretty sure that they re-used my old Lancia head. Also since that time, I had replaced the high performance 40/80-80/40 cams with the original Lancia cams. So do you think that the hot starting problem could be corrected by going with an electronic ignition/distributor? I have included a few images of the Scorpion. You can see that my current distributor is off the exhaust manifold side and sees a lot of heat. Could you recommend a specific electronic ignition/coil that would work with this arrangement and should I install some heat shielding on the manifold pipes? Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010810s.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	674.6 KB 
ID:	14756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010809s.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	696.8 KB 
ID:	14755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000904s.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	654.8 KB 
ID:	14754

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, you should.
    Do you still have all the old parts from the various iterations she's been through?
    Exhaust cam distributor indicates the Fiat cam tower. Beek is right, the oil won't drain properly unless its been modified, perhaps when fitted? You might try to find out. It will run but can cause long term wear.
    Why aren't you running the hot cams? What carb are you running?
    To answer your specific question; two most likely suspects are
    -vapor lock. The gas get too hot and needs to cool before it can flow smoothly. Try rerouting or insulating fuel lines to reduce this problem.
    -faulty electrical component that fails when hot. I would check the ignition coil as a common culprit.

Oh and welcome to the forum. Hope it helps you enjoy your Scorp. for more decades.
    Nice looking car btw. I like the header too.

Dave

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LanciaDave View Post
    Do you still have all the old parts from the various iterations she's been through?
    Exhaust cam distributor indicates the Fiat cam tower. Beek is right, the oil won't drain properly unless its been modified, perhaps when fitted? You might try to find out. It will run but can cause long term wear.
    -vapor lock. The gas get too hot and needs to cool before it can flow smoothly. Try rerouting or insulating fuel lines to reduce this problem.
    -faulty electrical component that fails when hot. I would check the ignition coil as a common culprit. Dave

I still have most of the old parts; the old block, the Lancia cams and towers, distributor, carburetor, etc. I am running the 34mm Weber carb; the 40/80-80/40 cams had been removed at some point, and I never put them back in.
    The problem does not appear to be fuel related as when it won't start, the carburetor accelerator pump always provides plenty of gas, it just does not appear to be getting a spark. That is why I want to go with an electronic ignition and a new coil.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LanciaDave View Post
    -faulty electrical component that fails when hot. I would check the ignition coil as a common culprit. Dave
    I still have most of the old parts; the old block, the Lancia cams and towers, distributor, carburetor, etc. I am running the 34mm Weber carb; the 40/80-80/40 cams had been removed at some point, and I never put them back in.
    The problem does not appear to be fuel related as when it won't start, the carburetor accelerator pump always provides plenty of gas, it just does not appear to be getting a spark. That is why I want to go with an electronic ignition and a new coil.

Downloads
    Uploads

First make a simple spark plug test, if when the troubble apears you dont have any spark at the end of any of the plugs. The fault is iginiton related. Start with changing the condensor ( if present )
    R16, Moretti 124S & 850S, Mini Cooper,OpelGT1900, Ford capri 1.6GT, Toyota MK2 & Liftback, Fiat 126 & X1/9,Triumph TR7, CX, Audi 5E, Porsche 924,944 & Carrera GT, Ford probe V6, Lancia Beta-Delta-Kappa-Montecarlo, Alfa GTV 2.0TS, Mercedes SLK171

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobie View Post
    First make a simple spark plug test, if when the troubble apears you dont have any spark at the end of any of the plugs. The fault is iginiton related. Start with changing the condensor ( if present )
    Hi,
    Yes, I have done that test and there was no spark. So I had then replaced the points and condensor, which did not make any difference, and was about to check the coil, but when I was removing the wires from the coil, the stud completely broke off the coil housing. So that is why I decided it would be a good time to go with an electronic ignition and a new coil. So I would greatly appreciate it if someone could recommend an electronic ignition and coil that would be compatible with my existing distributor/2liter block set-up. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dmsiceman View Post
    ...So I would greatly appreciate it if someone could recommend an electronic ignition and coil that would be compatible with my existing distributor/2liter block set-up. Thanks.
    The Crane XR-700 has always been a very good and reliable electronic ignition setup. They work really well for most any period automobile and they are very simple to install. You can find them in lots of places for under $100.00.

https://smile.amazon.com/700-0300-El...ateway&sr=8-13
    DJ Richards
    eBay ID: classic-ricambi
    1978 Beta Coupe, Nero

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome to the forum, nice looking car you have there : )

You'll get a noticeable bump in compression if you use the 1.8 head in your 2.0 block. You'd still use the 2.0 cam belt. Estimates vary as to mow much this increases compression, but most agree that its noticeable. It'll be more beneficial with the cams & header.

Allison's Automotive sells a "distributor-less ignition for these cars that's pretty cool, give it a Google.

Keep posting & show show us more pics of your car!

Thread Information