Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

67 Flavia Coupe 1.8i - Engine Rebuild

I need to have my engine rebuilt (blew a head gasket). I have all the parts (new cylinders, liners, gaskets, etc) and need somebody to re-build the engine. Any recommendations for this work in Arizona or California? It is a 1967 Flavia 1.8i and the engine is already apart. Thanks, much appreciate any suggestions and recommendations.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: 67 Flavia Coupe 1.8i - Engine Rebuild

Fairly radical to rebuild the engine completely just for a blown head gasket. When you stripped it down did you look to see why the head gasket had blown, or was the engine getting tired anyway. They are pretty robust engines made of better than average materials and with quite a low maximum piston speed so if serviced properly have a very long service life. Redoing the head bolts is part of the service schedule which should avoid a further head gasket failure.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

One of the pistons was scorched so the wisdom was to replace all four liners and pistons. Does anybody have an idea how many hours is a reasonable guess for rebuilding the engine? Need a rough idea. Thanks.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you have all your parts lined up, have the right tools and have some experience a day (8 hrs) is more than sufficient and you would not be working hard. They are not overly complex, nor difficult to strip and reassemble. Also depends of course on your work environment. I do not include engine removal of course in the 8 hours.

Downloads
    Uploads

The engine blocks of the Flavia are prone to cracking. Hence it is compulsory to stick to a certain tightening sequence of the cylinderhead bolts. The sequence Lancia originally published in their repair shop manual (starting with the center bolt and then go to the outside) is evil. Lancia changed the sequence later and released this change as an amendment to the repair shop manual. The correct sequence goes crosswise from outside to inside. One should tighten the bolts in at least two passes in order to keep tension as even as possible. (I do 30 Nm, 45 Nm, and final torque in the third pass).
    Hubert
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP, Mercedes Benz Unimog U406

Thread Information