Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Active Lancista
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Spittal
    Posts
    17
    Downloads
    8
    Uploads
    0

    Lancia Elephant emblems ciolour?

    Hello, I have noticed that the HF elephants both exist in red and in blue. Does anyone know the story behind the colours? I´ve read somewhere that they started blue and then switched to red later, I´ve personally only seen the red ones on cars but I´ve seen blue ones on pictures...

    Is there any difference in the meaning of the red vs blue elephant? Like one for racecars, other for roadcars or whatever it could be? Or is it just a random colour they used to put on some cars...?

    There are also white and black ones available but these are aftermarkets and I am not sure if these exist from Lancia..

  2. #2
    Legendary Lancista 1,6 HF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    5,492
    Downloads
    42
    Uploads
    52

    Re: Lancia Elephant emblems ciolour?

    Originally it was an elefantino rosso -- red. It was used as far back as the Lancia Squadra Corse in the early '60s. And it remained red on the HF emblems through the '60s and '70s at least. In the late-'80s or '90s there were some special Delta(?) editions that used blue. But those were exceptions
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

  3. #3
    Legendary Lancista fay66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Silsoe Bedfordshire England
    Age
    80
    Posts
    1,656
    Downloads
    94
    Uploads
    86

    Re: Lancia Elephant emblems ciolour?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    Originally it was an elefantino rosso -- red. It was used as far back as the Lancia Squadra Corse in the early '60s. And it remained red on the HF emblems through the '60s and '70s at least. In the late-'80s or '90s there were some special Delta(?) editions that used blue. But those were exceptions
    In 1999 I bought a new LHD Ypsilon Elefantino Rosso from Rotterdam and imported it to the UK, as RHD Lancia's were last sold in the UK in 1994/5.
    Consequently Lancia ceased trading in the UK.
    My Rosso had the red elephant badges, on the grille, the B pillars and the tailgate, it was also on items inside.
    the Rosso was the top of the range model, but there was also a blue elephant for some models further down the range.
    The Red and Blue Elephants were also available as key rings.
    Brian

  4. #4
    Master Lancista
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    home
    Posts
    185
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Lancia Elephant emblems ciolour?

    It actually predates all of these. It was used earlier in racing as a mascot and later adopted by club and then with more recent commemorative models and keychains.


    "In 1960 the High Fidelity club of Lancia loyalists was formed. They adopted the red elephant insignia for their group, because an elephant never forgets..."

    https://poeschloncars.blogspot.com/2...series-in.html

    High Fidelity (HF) was originally a group of loyal buyers that always bought the new model, and were thus given preference for special editions, etc.

    Dave

  5. #5
    Legendary Lancista fay66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Silsoe Bedfordshire England
    Age
    80
    Posts
    1,656
    Downloads
    94
    Uploads
    86

    Re: Lancia Elephant emblems ciolour?

    Quote Originally Posted by LanciaDave View Post
    It actually predates all of these. It was used earlier in racing as a mascot and later adopted by club and then with more recent commemorative models and keychains.


    "In 1960 the High Fidelity club of Lancia loyalists was formed. They adopted the red elephant insignia for their group, because an elephant never forgets..."

    https://poeschloncars.blogspot.com/2...series-in.html

    High Fidelity (HF) was originally a group of loyal buyers that always bought the new model, and were thus given preference for special editions, etc.

    Dave
    Thing you'll find that Ed referred to the 1960's use a couple of posts ago.
    I receive emails from Lancia of latest version of Ypsilon for sale, being the only model now built, the latest version is all black, with black and old gold edged elefantino badges.
    Brian

  6. #6
    Legendary Lancista 1,6 HF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    5,492
    Downloads
    42
    Uploads
    52

    Re: Lancia Elephant emblems ciolour?

    Quote Originally Posted by LanciaDave View Post
    "In 1960 the High Fidelity club of Lancia loyalists was formed. They adopted the red elephant insignia for their group, because an elephant never forgets..."
    I've done a fair amount of research on the origins of the HiFi Club, and I've found no reference to the "elephants never forget" story
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

  7. #7
    Master Lancista
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Cupertino California
    Posts
    105
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Lancia Elephant emblems ciolour?

    Which only confirms the theory, they knew they would forget why they picked it....


    Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    I've done a fair amount of research on the origins of the HiFi Club, and I've found no reference to the "elephants never forget" story

  8. #8
    Legendary Lancista 1,6 HF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    5,492
    Downloads
    42
    Uploads
    52

    Re: Lancia Elephant emblems ciolour?

    "The elephant inserted in the badge of this team is linked to the symbol of the old Scuderia Lancia, and means that all members of the new sports association are committed to running exclusively with Lancia cars."

    Lancia - periodico di informazione no. 10 Spring 1963

    I almost forgot to add that...
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

  9. #9
    Master Lancista
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    home
    Posts
    185
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Lancia Elephant emblems ciolour?

    Bravo Ed. Good finding that. That was essentially the point I was trying to make, is that it was used prior to the early 60's referenced above. I think I remember reading it first in Brian Long's book?

  10. #10
    Experienced Lancista
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Milton, Wa. USA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    71
    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Lancia Elephant emblems ciolour?

    The elephant logo is shown on the heading of a letter from Scuderia Lancia to the Commissione Sportiva Automobilistica Italiana, dated 28 Marzo 1953, in the book "Lancia Corse", on page 58. Don't know if it was originally in color.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •