Experienced Lancista Castagnero's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oil and oilfilter change for the first time?!

I have to change the oil on my Fulvia 1200cc.
    This is the first time I do this on any car. Going to rent a car lift in an autoshop. Do I have to take some things into account?

I did some search. And want to use:
    1. 10W40 oil semi-synth (cheap oil €2,60/L) see picture. Is this the correct oil with the API SN/CF I did read somewhere that it should be SG/SH ..?
    2. Oil filter: FRAM PH28041 Extra Guard Passenger Car Spin-On Oil Filter. This is now on the engine. Is this the correct filter? Or is there another brand filter that I can use and is easy to get?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-04-03 17.19.36.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	533.2 KB 
ID:	14672

thanks.
    Last edited by Castagnero; 15th April 2019 at 05:48 AM.
    ---------------------------
    Fulvia coupé - 1968

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Oil and oilfilter change for the first time?!

I treat my Fulvias as my baby and dont feed them cheap stuff. I also dont want to d an oil change every year. I use Millers 10-60 triple ester fully synthetic. I seem to remember Fram PH8A is the correct one although many fit.

Downloads
    Uploads

The general consensus is that fully synthetic is good after a full rebuild, but not for a used engine. The detergents may loosen old muck that has been deposited, bring it back into circulation, and increase wear.
    Cheaper oil, but frequent changes, is recommended for used engines
    I use a "classic" oil formulated for 70ies cars (e.g. Liqui Moly Classic 20W50). 20W50 isn't the original specification for the 1.2 and 1.3 engines, but is recommended by Fulvisti I trust. It's not for winters, though.
    Bernt

Downloads
    Uploads

Correct Bernt. I got the same kind of messages. Only use full synthetic high grade oil on fully renewed engines. And changing oil often is more important than putting in expensive oil.
    I did run on Castrol classic 20W50 when my engine was quite worn. It is slightly thicker than 10W40 which would be the specified grade, but oils tended to be slightly ticker in those days I am being told. Just don't run (or rather, start and warm up) with that oil below freezing temp. After the rebuild to new, I now also use the Millers as Tim does. On a new engine, gives the engine the best protection.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information