Thread: High tick over

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

High tick over

I've had this issue for a while but whilst it's running pretty well I cannot get the rpm below 1400 rpm. Timing is set at 8°advance carburettors are balanced and plugs are an nice brown colour and I've no leaks in the spindles or rubbers. Any idea what would cause this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: High tick over

Manifold gasket leak would be my guess either before or after the rubber adaptor. Spray wd40 around and see if tick over drops....

Downloads
    Uploads

If it's not a gasket air leak (and those usually 'hunt' the revs), I'd look at the distributor advance springs / weights -- assuming it's not just the carb idle speed screws...
    Last edited by 1,6 HF; 15th April 2019 at 10:02 AM.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there a history to this problem? I mean, is there a change that suddenly made this appear, like revision of the carbs, ignition, etc.. Or did it slowly develop?
    Best specify which type of engine and which type of carbs we are talking about?
    If it is not an air leak, look very carefully at the whole of the throttle linkage system, and try to verify if it really is allowed to close to idle fully and freely, without hitting something that makes up a stop. Disconnect the throttle linkage rod and try to pull it closed by hand and see what happens to the RPM. Verify that the two carbs are properly aligned.
    If this was happening all the time with these carbs, it is possible the butterfly valves don't close off enough at idle (there is always a small air leak along the butterfly valves, at the sides, but it needs to be really tiny; it is one of my biggest frustrations when I am restoring carbs, getting the butterfly valves close off enough).
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

I can add: mind the small internal balance screws. Found that a 1600 engine was having idle trouble because the small balancing screw holes were cleaned and then there was a considerable air leak along the top of the screws that where open. They need to be sealed somehow (they best be sealed anyway, had another car where the screw turned completely out the hole due to vibration). Put a finger on the hole and feel if there is not suction.

Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the replys, car has been running high since rebuild. I will check the gaskets at the weekend.

Thread Information