Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Scorpion bumpers, top, nose band

I have read older posts that at one time a few people were making replacement bumpers, hard tops, one-piece nose bands, and such here in the USA. I am interested in the following items: either the Euro Montecarlo style or 037 Stradale style bumpers, a double bubble replacement top, and a one-piece nose band for a quad head light conversion. Is anyone still offering any of these items, without going to international shipping?

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Scorpion bumpers, top, nose band

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion Kim View Post
    I have read older posts that at one time a few people were making replacement bumpers, hard tops, one-piece nose bands, and such here in the USA. I am interested in the following items: either the Euro Montecarlo style or 037 Stradale style bumpers, a double bubble replacement top, and a one-piece nose band for a quad head light conversion. Is anyone still offering any of these items, without going to international shipping?
    Midwest Bayless has the Montecarlo style bumpers, but they don't appear to have the correct "grille" cutout in the rear piece. It's just a solid bumper. If you care, it's possible someone skilled with fiberglass work could cut the grille segments out for a fee. That's probably what I'd have done if I bought them.

Otherwise, The Monte Hospital in the U.K. is your source for the nose band and double-bubble roof panel. The person who made the 037 style bumpers and roof panel in the U.S. sold the moulds long ago and they've gone missing, from what I'm told.

Chris Obert of Fiat Plus just sold his Monte bumper moulds to someone (see the Classifieds section), but production plans are unclear. Chris says he can order a set from his supplier, but I'm guessing those come from Europe and would incur the shipping cost. You'd have to ask him to be sure.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. It appears that Midwest Bayless only has a spoiler for a specific style front bumper, but not the bumper(s) nor anything else. The items from Monte Hospital are really not the style I'd prefer; as I understand their roof panel only works with the soft top (that I am missing), and standard Montecarlo bumpers aren't too exciting. Plus shipping from Europe is a added issue.

I was hoping some of the stuff I've read about in older posts on Lancisti could still be found. I particularly like the 037 style bumpers to fit the Scorpion body. Something that's not just a bumper but with a spoiler also. And the full tops that work without the soft top in place. As for the nose band, I believe I have seen one that includes not only the center and headlight covers (like for a Montecarlo), but also the two end curved pieces - all as one wrap around unit with no seams?

Downloads
    Uploads

It appears that Chris Obert just sold the tooling for these parts. See link below. From one of the later posts it seems that he may still offer the parts? Or perhaps the new owner of the tooling will do a run?

http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showth...oling-for-sale

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pretty sure MW Bayless is the only option for bumpers without going international. I feel like I'd have found anyone currently making the roof section in the States by now, I've looked for a while.

i spoke to MW Bayless on the phone less than a year ago about their Monte bumpers, and was told that they're made there and made to order.

I've wondered if a group buy from the Monte Hospital could be worthwhile for those in the western states. Someone who knows more about international shipping might chime in. I'll be ordering a roof section and a few other bits from The Monte Hospital in the next month or so. I don't like their policy of charging you for shipping before they give you a shipping cost. Funds for my car are both scarce & hard-earned, so I need to have a reasonable idea of total cost to avoid spending money from the general budget.

Have you posted pics of your car here yet? It's all about sharing here : )

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting about Obert selling the molds. Hopefully the new owner will offer parts from them. Funny though, because when I checked Obert's site awhile back I could not find any mention of such items; neither the parts nor the molds. So I assumed they never offered it. Perhaps the new maker (if they make some) will actually market them. Sure seems you can sell more of something if people know you have it available.

As I already mentioned previously, Midwest Bayless also no longer offers anything other than a front spoiler that won't fit anything I am interested in. It might be possible to get them to make some more parts IF they still have the molds and IF there was enough interest to make it worth the effort. I'm not sure about the first "if", but I highly doubt the second one. Experience from other MWB transactions leds me to think it will not happen.

Also as mentioned previously, the Monte Hospital items are not what I'm looking for. But regarding their shipping cost; you do not have to actually make a purchase to find out the shipping cost. According to the site, if you continue through the checkout process to the point of purchase, they will email you the final cost prior to actually charging your card. You can then decline if it's not to your liking. Or better yet you can do what I did and email them for the shipping cost without making any purchase. By giving them a list of the items I was interested in and my shipping info, they were able to give me an estimate of the cost. That was enough to help decide. Actually it was less than I expected. But as I said, their components are really not what I want.

Appreciate any/all feedback. Hope at some point someone will find sources.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: TMH's double-bubble roof, pretty sure they just mean it will not work with the fixed-roof "coupe" variant (never sold in the US) but, rather, only with the retractable-roof "spider" variant (which includes all Scorpions), not that the fabric cover itself needs to be present and installed -- and AFAIK, all substitute Scorpicarlo spider top panel offerings used the fabric top's side straps and latching rear frame/mechanism to hold the panel in place.
    Best regards,
    -Tye (1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider)

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."
    -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just going off what I've read, I believe the TMH top was designed to fit with the soft top in place.
    However I may be misinterpreting it, as per their site: "Fitting is simplicity itself, just roll up the fabric roof as usual, slide the double-bubble under the roof straps, clip it to the forward fixing strip above the windscreen and close the rear cover flap".
    And somewhere on the forum I read a description that sounded like the soft top was what held the DB in place. Again though I'm not certain.

Regardless, I don't have the straps. And from my understanding of what I've read, other double bubble tops do not require them. However I'm also not certain about that. But there appears to be several versions of the DB top, so I guess it depends.

Frankly it would be more a matter of what can be obtained at this point.

The bigger difficulty would be finding bumpers in a style like the ones a member once produced. Sort of a '037 Stradale' look but to fit the narrow body. There are some pictures of them on the forum somewhere.

While we are seeking answers, does anyone know if there was (is) a one piece front nose band that includes the two curved end parts (that wrap around the sides if the headlights)? In other words, combining all 5 parts of a Scorpion nose band into one seamless part. Could that even be done?

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll just add that TMH is a great deal right now, in fact it has been since the pound went into the tank. 1 pound=$1.31 is like 25% off all day, every day. Great people too..just email them with your questions regarding the DB top..they will set you right, and if you need the straps, they have them too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion Kim View Post
    "Fitting is simplicity itself, just roll up the fabric roof as usual, slide the double-bubble under the roof straps, clip it to the forward fixing strip above the windscreen and close the rear cover flap".
    And somewhere on the forum I read a description that sounded like the soft top was what held the DB in place. Again though I'm not certain.
    My interpretation would be that's just saying it's not required to completely remove the fabric, as the DB top would fit with the fabric left intact, tho' the straps and the rest of the rear frame/latch are still required. At any rate, can't hurt to contact TMH to clarify if their DB top can work sans fabric.
    Best regards,
    -Tye (1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider)

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."
    -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Thread Information