Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dual Weber Carb Kits?

I have a 1978 Montecarlo (it is in the USA). Can somebody recommend where I can purchase a dual weber carb kit?

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Dual Weber Carb Kits?

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsterman View Post
    I have a 1978 Montecarlo (it is in the USA). Can somebody recommend where I can purchase a dual weber carb kit?
    Unfortunately, no one makes a suitable manifold new any longer. Manifolds made for other Fiat/Lancia Beta twin-cam applications won't fit properly because of the angle the engine is mounted at in the Scorpion/Montecarlo. The manifold you want is made by Alquati and says "Beta M.C." on it (M.C. for Montecarlo). This will allow you to mount twin Weber 40, 42, or 44 DCNF carburetors which you can purchase from many sources brand new or used.

One less ideal solution is Mark Allison's twin Weber IDF manifold for our cars, but these have a critical flaw, in that IDFs are not designed for transverse engine applications due to the way fuel flows through the carbs -- they will starve for fuel in heavy cornering in one direction (can't recall if it's left or right). This is what occurs on the Dino 246 too, which is why Ferrari switched to DCNFs for the 308 series of cars. Allison's manifold also comes with EMPI IDF-type carburetors, which are built under license from Weber (they aren't true Webers, if that matters to you). If you're desperate, you could buy Allison's setup for the $1200 he wants, but for that much money I'd just be patient and wait for a proper Alquati/DCNF package to present itself.

Best thing to do is keep your eyes open for a used Alquati manifold, they seem to come up for sale maybe a couple times a year if you're diligent about looking. Occasionally supplier Midwest-Bayless gets one in, but they're out of stock at the moment according to their website.

Can you tell us more about your Montecarlo? Did you import it yourself or did you buy it here already? It's rare to see an actual Euro car here in the U.S.!

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here ya go:

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/buy_...rbs_p/k500.htm

these guys are true masters of induction, and they're just over in California. I've ordered from them a few times over the years, and I've been impressed.

Show off some pics of your car! Don't be self-conscious, mine isn't exactly picturesque yet...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chad C. View Post
    Here ya go:

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/buy_...rbs_p/k500.htm

these guys are true masters of induction, and they're just over in California. I've ordered from them a few times over the years, and I've been impressed.

Show off some pics of your car! Don't be self-conscious, mine isn't exactly picturesque yet...
    Chad, good call on Pierce, it's a wonderful business for Weber parts. I thought they sell a standard Beta manifold which would be the incorrect angle? May require a phone call over there to confirm.

And I echo your sentiment, would love some pictures of that Monte!

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pretty sure the canted angle for the motor is the same throughout the Beta model range. The Alquati manifold that I have on my car came from a Beta Coupe, & it's right where it's supposed to be. The linkage for Beta Coupe & Monte/Scorpion is different, but that's due to the different orientations of the motor. Again, pretty sure but defer to others.

I envy Montecarlo ownership, I hope to build my Scorpion to Monte spec suspension, bumpers, displacement, compression, and gear ratios.

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

. . . FWIW Weber purists prefer DCNFs that were Made In Italy . . . not Spain . . .

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know Alquati made two different versions for Beta and Monte/Scorp: the former has "Cremona" on it and the latter has 'Beta M.C.' on it. I guess I've forgotten the difference, but maybe it's not significant! Mine is the Beta M.C. manifold, but if Chad is using a standard Beta manifold without issues, should be all good! Great info to know.

No functional difference between the Spanish and Italian Webers, as far as I know. My Scorpion was upgraded early in its life by the first owner, when Italian Webers were plentiful.

Downloads
    Uploads

The issue isn't the angle, which is indeed the same for all Beta-engined models, though of course a manifold meant for Fiat models won't have the correct angle for any Beta. However IIRC, the Alquati "Beta M.C." manifolds put the carbs a bit lower for better clearance under the bulkhead. Not sure how Pierce's manifold compares in that regard, at least worth contacting them to clarify that point and maybe inquire if they could relay your contact into to any Scorpion customers they know of.

As for Webers made in Italy or Spain, AFAIK all official Weber production has been in Spain for decades now, and by all accounts fully up to snuff; the ones made in Italy would be used/old-stock antiques by now. The ones to watch out for are the Chinese clones ("licensed" or otherwise) offered by Empi and others, which by all accounts are garbage to avoid. (Tip for other carb models w/ an electric choke: avoid the ones with a black choke cover, as genuine Webers have a white/translucent cover, tho' obvs. this doesn't apply for DCNFs.)

Having an actual Monte means you have Euro-spec compression that can make decent use of dual Webers, which would be nearly pointless with stock US-market compression. You might also consider a hotter intake cam, though the stock exhaust cam is fine for street use.
    Best regards,
    -Tye (1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider)

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."
    -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Downloads
    Uploads

Im surprised that nobody has mentioned this kit from Allison. They'll either sell you the manifold - or complete with the carbs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LANCIA-SCOR...wAAMXQDjhQ5jKE
    Sean McLane

Integrale EVO1
    UrQuattro
    Scorpion (s)
    Beta (s)
    Integrale 16v

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HF Stinger View Post
    Im surprised that nobody has mentioned this kit from Allison. They'll either sell you the manifold - or complete with the carbs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LANCIA-SCOR...wAAMXQDjhQ5jKE
    the only issue there is the carb orientation. the idf's prefer to run inline with the car , not sideways. there is a float and fuel cutoff issue during hard cornering due to the direction the float hangs in. same as putting dcnf's on a 124. same problem. Will it work, yes...but

Thread Information