Downloads
    Uploads

Some Rather URGENT help is needed please

On a recent trip to Italy I bought a lovely Fulvia Montecarlo and also am (or possibly not depending on the outcome) going back to buy a Fulvia Safari. The body and underneath of the Safari is like new, the rest of the car is also good plus it has all the correct features etc but......one thing is niggling me.
    The chassis number relates to a 1974 car (that ties in with it being a 3) but the date of registration on the targa is July 1977.
    Has anyone else had such a large gap between the two figures, could it have been a show car and then registered or been written off and re-registered in 1977?
    Any help will be appreciated, regards,Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Some Rather URGENT help is needed please

That's going to be a hard one to find out. It may be that it stayed for a long time at a car shop without being sold (it being a special version, when Fulvia sales were already declining). Could it maybe have been re-registered, and the first registration somehow not showing? I would probably give more importance to the chassis number which sounds to be authentic... the date of first registration seems less important... but it would be wise to check if there is nothing fake about the car, as far as that can be checked
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Marnix.
    I have spoken to the seller again tonight and he assumes it was a show car at the Lancia dealership, with it being a rare car it seems feasible. The guy seems 100% genuine and honest as he was telling me things about the Safari as if I didn't know about them, (when I did). He's owned it for about 15 years.
    As they were produced from 74-76 it could be that it was in stock in 76 and sold in 77.
    All the correct features of the Safari are there and as it is in such good condition I will double check the chassis number and take a punt on it.
    I will upload some photos when I get it to the U.K.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mikejf355 View Post
    As they were produced from 74-76 it could be that it was in stock in 76 and sold in 77.
    I think you only wanted us to confirm what you want to believe. I can do that for you: I think it is highly plausible that a Safari version would sit in a showroom from 74 to 77. The Safari is good to display, but (to me) not so desireable as to make it unlikely it would go unsold for a while.
    I bought a new motorbike in 1999. It was built in 1995...

Bernt

Downloads
    Uploads

The "show car" theory seems unlikely, if by "show" you mean a formal auto show. If on the other hand you mean that it sat for a couple of years as a display in a dealer showroom, that seems very possible. The Beta Coupé was introduced in 1974, after which it became more difficult to sell Fulvia Coupés. In fact, the Safari was actually a cost-cutting special edition to try to improve sales of the older model at the end of its production run.

Those of us of a certain age may also recall that there was an economic downturn in the mid-‘70s, as a result of OPEC manipulation of the oil market. That affected auto sales worldwide, at every level of the market. The Stratos HF was produced in 1974-75, but you could still find a new one as late as 1979.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

1,6HF
    Indeed it was a different time back then and as you say unlike nowadays when a product is made and sold straight away back then things stood around waiting to be sold in a depressed market.
    I have managed to have the chassis number verified by an Italian company and am back out in Italy tomorrow to de-register it before it comes back to the U.K. along with the Montecarlo. I will upload some photos.
    Thanks for all the replies, regards,Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

my Alfa was produced in 1971 and sold in november 1974... so 3 full years waiting at the seller's shop...

it wasn’t so rare at the time, bad period for (sport) cars as 1.6HF reminds

Thread Information