Thread: fulvia s3

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

fulvia s3

hi all

glenn ford here, proud owner of a 1974 lancia fulvia pile of rust with cat attached, i am going to try and resore the whole car, i was wanting to know, which books if any are the best to buy when restoring it, i am waiting delivery on a workshop manual, as i want to get the engine and sub frame off ( any suggestions or help in this matter will be gratefully recieved ), i intend to take the engine out, put the subframe back and send it off to the blasting company, to recieve a teabag back ( thats what normally happens) and any advice on parts suppliers especially bodywork to begin with would be greatly appriciated

many thanks
    Glenn

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: fulvia s3

Welcome to forum Glenn!

The best book is probably the workshop manual. You could also obtain a spare parts book. I don't have one but they contain exploded views of various assemblies. Definitely have a look through the downloads section here as well because there's TONS of good info there.

As for removing the subframe, I documented the basic procedure for doing that in my build thread. See this page of my thread for some info and pictures...

http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showth...-Thread/page11

Yours will definitely be a little different since it's an S3 but I think a lot of it should be the same.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    Welcome to forum Glenn!

The best book is probably the workshop manual. You could also obtain a spare parts book. I don't have one but they contain exploded views of various assemblies. Definitely have a look through the downloads section here as well because there's TONS of good info there.

As for removing the subframe, I documented the basic procedure for doing that in my build thread. See this page of my thread for some info and pictures...

http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showth...-Thread/page11

Yours will definitely be a little different since it's an S3 but I think a lot of it should be the same.
    many thanks

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

so started the strip down today, interior out, but................ as the sills are rusted, i am trying to lift the body of the front subframe, so i can tackle the engine,gearbox front suspension, any suggestions would be good, may have to design an A-frame hoist, or block and tackle on the garage rafters, as no 4 post lift here !!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by glennford View Post
    so started the strip down today, interior out, but................ as the sills are rusted, i am trying to lift the body of the front subframe, so i can tackle the engine,gearbox front suspension, any suggestions would be good, may have to design an A-frame hoist, or block and tackle on the garage rafters, as no 4 post lift here !!!
    Welcome,
    I think this is a great community here. Helped me a lot.

as for lifting the body, no need for a 4 post lift.
    put a jack under the subframe to play with the position of the gear shift lever
    the front of the body is easy to lift (rotation on back axle )

groeten, Geert

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170604-DSC_5147.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	14506

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

At the risk of commenting on aspects you have already considered, I would be wary of sending to a blasting co to avoid potential panel distortion which is very costly to rectify. Thicker metal areas are more resistant I.e subframe, suspension, back axle, even sills particularly if removing them anyway. The other risk is blast media collecting in hard to reach cavities and box sections accelerating corrosion internally. This may lead to comments on pros and cons of dipping vs blasting. I favour old fashioned paint stripper for most panels. Although labour intensive, to my way of thinking it has the least damaging effect on the original metal surfaces.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

This also will vary widely depending on the aggressiveness of the media used and the skill of your blaster and his (or her) experience with thinner panels. Soda is quite gentle but hard to get paint to stick after. Sand is quickest and most effective but most likely to warp panels depending on grit and application. Glass bead or walnut shell may be more gentle but also more costly. I don't know if available in your area but you may investigate wet blasting as well.

2 post lift better for this than four. If you lift with the cherry picker like this, you may want to put a board under that front panel to distribute load and reduce distortion and then wrap around with something softer like a 3" webbing lift strap. U shape not |@| shape.

Alternately use upper shock mount location for lifting.

Dave

Thread Information