Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

68' Fulvia Rallye engine issues?

Hi guys, hope you're all well.

My Fulvia runs pretty rough and makes a horrible sound (quite rattly and noisy) that's much unlike the sweet rasp of my previous Fulvia 3. Moreover, it refuses to go past 3000rpm under load, it suddenly splutters and stops pulling at this point.

As a result I carried out a compression test to get an idea of engine health, and the results were 125 psi across the board. It was a dry test and the car was completely cold - are these numbers okay?

At the moment im thinking a carb rebuild, rolling road setup and an adjustment of valve clearances and timing may sort out my issues, but what do you guys think? Perhaps the compression test numbers will be better after doing the valve clearance and timing as well?

Thanks in advance!

Yousuf
    74' Lancia Fulvia 3
    72' Alfa Romeo Giulia Super
    68' Lancia Fulvia Rallye

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: 68' Fulvia Rallye engine issues?

Quote Originally Posted by yousuf22 View Post
    Hi guys, hope you're all well.

My Fulvia runs pretty rough and makes a horrible sound (quite rattly and noisy) that's much unlike the sweet rasp of my previous Fulvia 3. Moreover, it refuses to go past 3000rpm under load, it suddenly splutters and stops pulling at this point.

As a result I carried out a compression test to get an idea of engine health, and the results were 125 psi across the board. It was a dry test and the car was completely cold - are these numbers okay?

At the moment im thinking a carb rebuild, rolling road setup and an adjustment of valve clearances and timing may sort out my issues, but what do you guys think? Perhaps the compression test numbers will be better after doing the valve clearance and timing as well?

Thanks in advance!

Yousuf

The rattling sound could be several Things, but since you have an even but low compression Reading I would investigate the top end first. Checking cam and cam followers for wear. Be extra careful to loosen all valve adjustment screws to investigate if the tappets have dig in on the valve stem top. If okay make the valve adjustments according to the DT. If tappets have dig in, you have to regrind the valves (Plan for a Complete head job).

Tor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

125 psi on a cold dry test is probably fine. compression tests should be carried out on a fully warmed engine. i'm sure you'll see a few psi higher readings with the engine at operating temp. then you should do a wet test as well as dry so you can compare.
    i bet the rough running is not a compression related issue.
    start with the basics. plugs, points, timing, fuel.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. As you said, the next step is probably a check over, adjustment and then a retest when warm, along with a wet test. Its good to know the readings aren't awfully low though.

I just took the car for a good run for the first time and used some more revs (when warm) to see what it's like. It actually pulls pretty well, and after a while that splutter at 3000rpm disappeared!

It really is very, very noisy though - it honestly sounds like a diesel at the moment! I'll let you know how i get on after i do the retest.

Other than that im shocked at how well it handles on original wheels and Michelin X's. My old Fulvia was on modern rubber and 6J wheels and had nothing like the delicacy or response of this one, the turn in is fabulous!
    74' Lancia Fulvia 3
    68' Lancia Fulvia Rallye

Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is perhaps too obvious, but..... could the rattling be what I think you across the pond call 'pinking' because your timing is way off? I know when I got my car it had a considerable 'knock' (pinking’), especially when I gave it some gas. The culprit was timing way off, and low octane fuel. The rattle sounded like I was running a diesel!
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah im pretty sure its the timing that's causing it, especially since yours sounded agricultural as well! Again I'll keep you updated on what i find.

Off topic but does anyone know how to properly adjust the steering box? I have 1.5 inches of play and while i followed some instructions found on here im not sure i understood them properly.
    74' Lancia Fulvia 3
    68' Lancia Fulvia Rallye

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

One point regarding playing with these engines.

Make sure that you fit the complete airbox / filter housing.

I had taken off the air filter and outer half of the airbox to set up the carbs.

could not get it to run smoothly and went up a lot of blind alleys chasing ignition leads etc.

I put on the full air box and the engine was transformed!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Langap View Post
    One point regarding playing with these engines.

Make sure that you fit the complete airbox / filter housing.

I had taken off the air filter and outer half of the airbox to set up the carbs.

could not get it to run smoothly and went up a lot of blind alleys chasing ignition leads etc.

I put on the full air box and the engine was transformed!!
    It is a bit hard to explain in a few words here, but with the type of carbs used on the normal Fulvias (excluding the 1600 engines with the C.42 here), the proper operation of the carbs NEEDS the restriction (the under pressure) of the air filter. The carbs are CALCULATED to have a restriction in front of them. (For the C.42 it is different, they can be operated without air filter). When setting the balance and mixture, see to it that the air filer is in place, or it won't work too well.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by yousuf22 View Post
    Off topic but does anyone know how to properly adjust the steering box? I have 1.5 inches of play and while i followed some instructions found on here im not sure i understood them properly.
    This has been dealt with in another thread some time ago, but I don't recall in which exactly. I recall having given a description of how to do it practically and Tim having given the setting data.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the heads up guys! Thats quite interesting. I was debating whether to just ditch the air box and use some k&n filters instead for some nice induction noise, but i get the feeling it'll run better as standard.

I'll take a look at that steering box thread, thanks
    74' Lancia Fulvia 3
    68' Lancia Fulvia Rallye

Thread Information