Thread: More Headroom

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

More Headroom

Has anyone pulled out the front seat (at least the driver’s seat) and installed a different type of seat to increase headroom in their Zagato? With the targa panel out, I bang my head on the opening unless I lean forward.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: More Headroom

It's been too long since I owned my last Beta Coupe, so I don't recall how the mounting works. But I suspect if you look at the seat mounting / slider, there's a way to lower the standard seat. We've done this with Fulvias.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry Re: More Headroom

TMK (and experience) there's NO way to significantly lower Beta/Beta stock seats.
    I've R & R-ed many in my time. It's not as tho the slider thru-bolts are sitting on
    a column of thick washers you can reduce in height by removing some. And when
    you re-install the seat ... and don't get the runner thru bolt holes aligned as they
    were @ the factory ... the seat won't as far back as it did before removal. Then
    you gotta repeat the whole seat install. Oh & make sure none of the runner rollers
    fly out of the greasy runner rails raceway ... and. I'd leave the seats as they are.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh Well. Not what I was hoping to hear. I guess I’ll tilt the seat back a little more.
    Thanks

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, that's what I do. The other thing to consider is if early coupe seats sit lower than the later FI seats which seem to have a lot more stuffing. I think the backs may be too tall for the top for easy folding forward, so you may have to swap bottoms and recover to match. I would do a lot of trial fitting first however.

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't had my Beta's seats out to know what's there in the sliders dimensionally, but I had a headroom problem with a Fulvia Sport I raced for some years (6'1" with a helmet). I removed the sliders and then attached the seat base directly to the floor where it fit for me front to back. No longer adjustable, of course, but it did give me just barely enough headroom.
    Johnny Keppelman, 1.3 Fulvia coupe project, 81 Beta Coupe (original owner)

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: More Headroom

The seat heights are what they are in Beta Coupes, Zags 'n' HPEs. 6' in body height
    is close to the limit (e.g. me). Howeverrrrrrr sunroof-less Sedans were MUCH more
    generous w/headroom. I could easily wear all heights of dress hats in my Sedan . . .

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

David, "all heights of dress hats" sounds like great fun. Especially the top hat! Could it be that your solution to the headroom problem is a Beta sedan/coupe roof swap? Way more imaginative than the (old hat) chopped and channeled B20, yes? Speaking of head room problems... Fire up the sawzall!
    Johnny Keppelman, 1.3 Fulvia coupe project, 81 Beta Coupe (original owner)

Thread Information