Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: For sale on ebay: 1967 Lancia Fulvia Series 1 HF Coupe 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    My initial thought was "bargain" and "too bad it's not near my home" as well. But then 1.2HF aren't as sought after as 1.3HF, so one shouldn't fall into the trap of comparing to 1.3HF prices. If there is more than patina that can be preserved, but some real work is required, it's a completely different story. See the discussion on BaT back in 2009, when another 1.2HF was sold in the US.

I'll certainly follow anything you add when you saw the car - even though I'm a continent and an ocean away and won't actually buy it

Bernt
    Why should 1200Hf's be less populair than 1300HF's?
    IMHO (and as an 1200HF owner) I beg to disagree. Even in Italy 1200HF prices have surpassed the 1300HF. The reason is that the 1200HF is even more a homologation special than the 1300Hf. The 1300HF shares its body with the normal Coupe while the 1200HF has a body with a lot of unique panels and on most places made of thinner gauge steel as well.
    The engine maybe simpler and is in a lower state of tune but it is basically a 1216cc version of the later 1300 Ralley engine with 1300S cams. It was however the very first Fulvia to receive these components. Hence the 818.140 number cast in all 1300 cilinder heads. It was also the very first Lancia model to wear the HF logo from the factory.
    The reason it is considered less desirable in some areas is the fact that the more developped 1300Hf engine made the car more successful in rallys. And Palmares sells cars.
    To get the same level of performance you need to spend more money and if you want to keep everything within the Appendix J regulations not a lot can be done to it.

This car looks like a very nice specimen and is a very rare find in an unrestored condition. I think it received 1300S doors at some point as opening quarter-lights are not original and the doorcards seem odd with the non Lancia (and definitely non HF) door pull. This is however not very difficult to put right just as the stripe and HF colored valve cover (1200HF had a normal coupe crackle black valve cover), black underbonnet, air horns and shift lever booth. And a couple dozen of small things. Remember it is over 50 years old.
    I think however it is priced to sell. Try to find another one on the market for less or one at all!

William

If it were mine to sell I would shelf out $1500 for a set of replica 5.5Jx13 Campagnolo's. They transform the look of the car. Even though the steelies are original without the stainless hubcaps they look like space savers and make the car look to delicate to impress.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fulvia-hf View Post
    IMHO (and as an 1200HF owner) I beg to disagree. Even in Italy 1200HF prices have surpassed the 1300HF.
    I think however it is priced to sell. Try to find another one on the market for less or one at all
    It is my observation of the market, not more. It is more an enthusiasts car than an investors, which should cap the prices somewhat. But given the rarity of these beauties and how few are bring sold, my observation may indeed be off. And don't get me wrong, it is not less populär with me

Bernt

Experienced Lancista Castagnero's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with you William... but I am also a little biased...

I think the 1200HF was the beginning of the HF and rally success story of Lancia...?!

It is already sold... not surprisingly...
    (maybe to someone on the forum?)

Quote Originally Posted by Fulvia-hf View Post
    IMHO (and as an 1200HF owner) I beg to disagree. Even in Italy 1200HF prices have surpassed the 1300HF. The reason is that the 1200HF is even more a homologation special than the 1300Hf. The 1300HF shares its body with the normal Coupe while the 1200HF has a body with a lot of unique panels and on most places made of thinner gauge steel as well.
    The engine maybe simpler and is in a lower state of tune but it is basically a 1216cc version of the later 1300 Ralley engine with 1300S cams. It was however the very first Fulvia to receive these components. Hence the 818.140 number cast in all 1300 cilinder heads. It was also the very first Lancia model to wear the HF logo from the factory.
    The reason it is considered less desirable in some areas is the fact that the more developped 1300Hf engine made the car more successful in rallys. And Palmares sells cars.
    To get the same level of performance you need to spend more money and if you want to keep everything within the Appendix J regulations not a lot can be done to it.

This car looks like a very nice specimen and is a very rare find in an unrestored condition. I think it received 1300S doors at some point as opening quarter-lights are not original and the doorcards seem odd with the non Lancia (and definitely non HF) door pull. This is however not very difficult to put right just as the stripe and HF colored valve cover (1200HF had a normal coupe crackle black valve cover), black underbonnet, air horns and shift lever booth. And a couple dozen of small things. Remember it is over 50 years old.
    I think however it is priced to sell. Try to find another one on the market for less or one at all!

William

If it were mine to sell I would shelf out $1500 for a set of replica 5.5Jx13 Campagnolo's. They transform the look of the car. Even though the steelies are original without the stainless hubcaps they look like space savers and make the car look to delicate to impress.
    ------------------------
    Fulvia coupé - 1968

Downloads
    Uploads

The 1.2HF is far less desirable in the US than in Europe. Describing it as superior to the 1,3HF seems a bit pointless; it deserves a place of honor as the first HF, but it was the least successful in competition.

This particular example isn't much of a bargain for its condition. Probably fairly priced, but not a bargain.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Desirability of cars is like houses. Location, location, location. Any US car is less expensive outside of the US. That the 1200 HF is less expensive as it bigger engined brother is true for some countries but not true for others including Italy. Not just because I have one;-) When I bought mine in 1992 it was the first HF I saw in the flesh and if it were an 1300 of 1600Hf I would have that one.
    I admit the competition results were much less impressive with the 1200cc HF's but Lancia in 1966 was only at the beginning with its rally efforts. The 1300Hf was not very much stronger than de VAR1007 version of the 1200. But things like magnesium wheels, stronger springs and directer steering were first tried out on the 1300 and they make a difference. It was not long after the 1300Hf was let loose that the 1401cc engine emerged. There's no substitute for cubic inches.
    This 1200HF was bought 3 months ago from a collector in New jersey and was in perfect running order. Spend another 8K$ and it is transformed visually. With good S1 coupes fetching over 20.000euro in Europe 35.000$ for this HF doesn't seem much.

Thread Information