Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fulvia new driver guide

Hi Everyone, as you may have seen I am new to Fulvia ownership (series 1 Rallye 1.3S here), and i got it as a fun driving car to help me escape the hell of Renault Capturs...

I can check my oil level and tyre pressures, but what else should I be looking out for, and what easy to do myself (and I mean EASY).

Also for the drivers out there, how far do you rev you little Lancias? I've always been a bit wary of going mental, possibly hit 5k a couple of times, but normally around 4k.

Is it easy to adjust headlight levels for example?

I downloaded a PDF owners manual which has already proved useful as I had (have) no idea what all the controls were, so I will be browsing that some more when I have the time too...

Any tips etc gratefully accepted, and I know my newb buddy in Scotland (@stevew ) will be keen to read them too!
    Fulvia 1.3 Rallye 1968

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Fulvia new driver guide

If your engine is in good condition the occasional rev up to 6500 will not do it any harm.

You can check the clutch and the brake fluid levels.....

Experienced Lancista tangmonster's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

My 2c

Another item that is high on the list of regular checks is the radiator coolant level.

Fulvia's don't have an expansion bottle like modern vehicles so coolant level drops are normal.

These drops are more in relation with heat cycles than distance.

Obviously don't refill with plain water all the time and antifreeze water mix. I keep a 5L bottle of premix in the garage for refilling every now and then before a trip.

NEVER try to open radiator cap when engine is hot!!

Above might sound obvious but it is very dangerous.

Downloads
    Uploads

My 2c is very low geared and with only a 4 speed Gearbox 70 mph is 4500 rpm, I regularly have 5000 rpm showing on the rev counter, something it will happily do hour after hour if required.
    As already stated if your engine is in good condition then it isn't a problem, as our little V4 loves to rev.
    Although I have seen 6000rpm from time to time, I don't make it a habit, and in normal driving it isn't necessary.
    I had a 1969 1.3 Rallye Coupe, before my 2c, so I'm sure you will love it.
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Just make sure the engine is warm before going to high revs.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Re: Fulvia new driver guide

I actually think that you will have problems if you "baby" it. As others have said the engine needs to be in good (meaning not an oil burner or rattler) condition before you drive it harder but these engines don`t even produce maximum torque until around 4000rpm (5000 in ser 2 1.3S) with maximum power at around 6000rpm. They need revs to perform and will need that "Italian tuneup" once a week just to keep part throttle performance from falling away. They are a well built engine made for revving and have frustratingly little power without revving hard but a little jewel once in the rev band. Sensible revving (healthy warm engine with good quality oil will extend rather than shorten service life.
    Completely different to an Alfa twincam 4 which has a much wider power band.

Thread Information