New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

1981 pagato don't know if i should paint or sell

I bought a1981 Lancia Zagato last year because i have owned two previously and it brought back memories. The car runs and drives well. It did not stop well when i got it but a new Booster and Master Cylinder fixed that. This was a California car until about 5 years ago. 104K miles pretty well documented. Lots of Mechanical work has been done to keep it healthy. It has some body rust but is very good compared to most. My intentioned was to work on it myself for the brake repair but bending over the hood at my age just didn't work so i sent it out. So do i keep it and "have" body restored (because i don't think i should do it) or sell it. If the pics i have show up on this page they will show it being brought back on trailer after brake work. Then a pic of me trying to drive it in the snow. I should have know better but need to check brakes. I will sell it now for 3k but after paint it would have to be at least 6k. I don't see many of them go for that much. Comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190115_121109_resized.jpg   20190117_143035_resized_1.jpg  

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: 1981 pagato don't know if i should paint or sell

Has it been re-painted before? I don't remember black LBZs other than the J.P.S. Lotus
    gold/black imitations? And those weren't '81s. I'd say sell vs. paint unless you love it.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a shame the Beta based cars are not fetching more money. Literally lagging behind just about every other car out there...

With that in mind, there are plenty of Zagato's in the $2-3k range. Hands off you could probably sell yours with in that range if it stands up well to others, i.e.interior and other soft bits.

If you love the car and want to enjoy it for a few more years then go ahead and paint it. Don't paint it just to sell it, the effort / payoff ratio isn't favorable.
    Sean McLane

Integrale EVO1
    UrQuattro
    Scorpion (s)
    Beta (s)
    Integrale 16v

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys, The LBZ has been painted somewhere in its past. It was originally Azurro Blue. i would take it back to that color. Since i got it back from brake job i have driven it about 150 miles. It is extremely rattle free and pleasant to drive even though the power to weight ratio stinks. Will probably keep it in the garage until spring and decide then. I did post a "for sale" for a couple extra doors and windshield and mentioned it there with no prices on any of that. What is a fair price for a door? They are in very good shape. What about price for crack free windscreen?

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

It can be hard to price our cars and parts. $75-150 is a very fair price for a door. $225-250 might be pushing it. It is a shame that Beta's are not yet bringing higher prices in the US. They have started to go up in Europe a little but I don't think the collector market has been increasing long enough to bring them up here yet. That windshield on the other hand can be pretty hard to find and could be fairly valuable to the right buyer at the right time. The azzurro blu color does look quite sharp on these, a good choice. My sedan arrived with that. Vincennes and Lancia Blu are always good choices too. Zagatos do handle pretty well for what they are, and the FWD helps in inclimate weather. Power should be decent with the 2L FI. Not as good as forced induction or a V8 but not bad for a 4cyl. Drive it for awhile and see how you like it. Winter's a terrible time to sell a convertible anyway.
    Last edited by LanciaDave; 9th February 2019 at 02:28 AM.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was just reading on another forum about a guy lamenting being too old to swap the engine on his Fiat X1/9, you guys are reminding me that I need to complete all that I want to complete while I can.

I'd recommend doing something with the car before Spring that endears it to you. Things like an interior refresh, or some top end upgrades for the engine. I'm not exactly young (45), and I've been jacking up my car with my big floor jack to minimize the strain on my back while working on bodywork. It helps a lot. My eyes aren't what they used to be, I had to get a magnifying glass to read the jet numbers on my Weber DCNFs. It was indignant, but I got it done. I've since gotten glasses.

My neighbor Rusty turned 90 last year, and he's been working on his original 650 Triumph Bonneville for a while. I saw him ride it down the long gravel driveway from his house onto the country road we live next to just the other day. Brought a tear to my eye, & gave me hope for myself.

Downloads
    Uploads

My thought on the paint job would be, if you have decided to let the car move on, let the next owner paint it. We all know the stories of paint jail where the car takes way longer than promised and it's usually a rushed sub-standard spray to finish it and get it back to you, not just worth the hassle for me.

I will turn 57 this year and yeah, it takes longer and longer to finish projects now than it used to. As my 72 C10 and 70 Fiat 850 are on the road and running well now and most of the cosmetic stuff is finished and in pretty good shape, I need to get back on the Montecarlo that has been sitting for way too long. Lots to do to get it back on the road but I need to get it done.
    1976 Montecarlo
    <br />2006 Volvo XC90 V8
    <br />2003 Volvo S60T (Autostrada Cruiser!)
    <br />1970 Fiat 850
    <br />1972 Chevy C/10

Downloads
    Uploads

Agreed on leaving the paint as-is if you're going to sell it anyway; you probably won't get a return on the investment of a decent paint job, and a cheap Maaco/Scheib job may not help it sell anyway or could even work against it. If the current paint is just tired, a new owner may prefer to try buffing that out before committing to a respray, and at least black is easy to match if any rust repair is in order.

I've never seen a pinstripe job follow the haunch line on a Zag like that, but I like it -- works to accentuate that signature detail of the design and overcome the way black tends to hide it (one reason I never much cared for the black'n'gold LE/SE livery on these), so IMO that on a black Zag without the usual gold trim could even help with sale appeal.
    Best regards,
    -Tye (1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider)

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."
    -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Legendary Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

FWIW your windshield, $400 is fair IMO. No matter the price, packing, shipping &
    insurance are going to be the killer. I found a guy (w/i driving distance) some yrs.
    ago who had FOUR! I paid $100 for one. He used to race Betas so he had spares.

Thread Information