Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fulvia Brake shims / backing plates

Experienced Lancista tangmonster's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fulvia Brake shims / backing plates

Hi There

A Year or so ago I changed front pads and did a bit of a caliper rebuild and replaced the 4 rubber hoses(they where in bad shape an partly blocked) on my Fulvia. I had 2 of the 4 Shims missing and could not find any quick locally so moved on. Since then with new pads i do get a fair amount of SQUEEEEEEE!! when coming to a stand still at slow speed. It was ok and livable.

Last week I decided i wanted also replace rear pads and rear hose ,sadly found that left rear both shims was missing again. they where quiet before.

Braking itself is perfect and straight and pedal feels GREAT. Also took the time to set the handbrake , man they work well now!

But MAN do the new pads left rear without shims SQEEEE! loud. It really seems like it is only in the left rear that is missing these shims.

My understanding is that all pads vibrate at high frequency , higher than we can hear. But shims somewhat isolates and lower the amplitude by giving a bit of buffer between piston and pad. With the added weight of the new pads this frequency is lower?

Long story short.

Does anybody have a possible source for at least 2 rear and 2 front. (I would possibly rather just get all 8 new since on of the rear ones has a broken center part.) I am struggling to find locally.

Or do people tend to use a anti squeek tape of sorts?
    Last edited by tangmonster; 16th January 2019 at 02:05 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Fulvia Brake shims / backing plates

I might be answering my own question but it seems that people are ditching the shims and simply using a 3M product 468MP that i can easily get in sheet form on the back of pads with some copper slip?

http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showth...-change-How-to

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm.. I don't recall seeing any shims when taking apart my dunlops.. Is it only a Girling thing?

Downloads
    Uploads

Have never held them in my hand but it looks like the plate that is attached should do the quieting work.

Mine is S2 Girling so looks very different

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tangmonster View Post
    Have never held them in my hand but it looks like the plate that is attached should do the quieting work.

Mine is S2 Girling so looks very different

Good point.. I'll be using new EBC pads so I'll have to check and see if they too have a backing plate like that

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, here we go (again). The Dunlop brakes work a bit different from later style barkes and pads(and the EBC). The original Dunlops "hook" in the back of the pads, and actually PULL THEM BACK when releasing the brake pedal. More contemporary ones (like the EBC) have a solid backplate alright, but they don't "hook" over the piston pin, so the brake pistons are NOT pulling those back: they are pushed backward by the friction with the brake disk (like on almost all contemporary cars today).

It is not fully realized, but the Dunlops were manufactured for top class cars (Jagaur, Ferrari, aston marting, etc... and LANCIA). They were refined to the point that the pads are actually ACTIVELY pulled back, not just pushed inward by the brake disc, as most would do.

Unfortunately, most of the Dunlops have suffered from old age, including the "pull back" mechanism (often overlooked in restoring the Dunlops). The original pads are old stuff, modern ones are many times better (the very original ones were asbestos I heard).

For EBC, on a normal car, take the "green stuff". They are expensive, but they work much, much better, and the brake disks wear out much, much slower. I had "screeching" on my rear brakes with the black pads for a long time. When I put on the green ones, it was gone almost immediately.

Mind you, even EBC is apparantly suffering quality problems: a friend of mine fitted EBC (not the black or green, maybe it was the orange ones? yellow? red?) on his Fanalone and it turned out they were simply bad (made in China now?). They were way too soft (spongy). He replaced them with something non-EBC which I don't recall.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

About shims: I think there is some confusion here. The shims we are talking about (I think) are over the bolts fixing the whole brake caliper on the car. The purpose is to align the caliper perfectly with the brake disk.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the shims in the sizes that Lancia provided them, quite a large stock (I goit them for S1, not sure if the were used on S2/3 and if so, if it is the same shims). I have them in stainless, because the original ones I had seem to have been very prone to rusting...
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    OK, here we go (again). The Dunlop brakes work a bit different from later style barkes and pads(and the EBC). The original Dunlops "hook" in the back of the pads, and actually PULL THEM BACK when releasing the brake pedal. More contemporary ones (like the EBC) have a solid backplate alright, but they don't "hook" over the piston pin, so the brake pistons are NOT pulling those back: they are pushed backward by the friction with the brake disk (like on almost all contemporary cars today).

It is not fully realized, but the Dunlops were manufactured for top class cars (Jagaur, Ferrari, aston marting, etc... and LANCIA). They were refined to the point that the pads are actually ACTIVELY pulled back, not just pushed inward by the brake disc, as most would do.

Unfortunately, most of the Dunlops have suffered from old age, including the "pull back" mechanism (often overlooked in restoring the Dunlops). The original pads are old stuff, modern ones are many times better (the very original ones were asbestos I heard).

For EBC, on a normal car, take the "green stuff". They are expensive, but they work much, much better, and the brake disks wear out much, much slower. I had "screeching" on my rear brakes with the black pads for a long time. When I put on the green ones, it was gone almost immediately.

Mind you, even EBC is apparantly suffering quality problems: a friend of mine fitted EBC (not the black or green, maybe it was the orange ones? yellow? red?) on his Fanalone and it turned out they were simply bad (made in China now?). They were way too soft (spongy). He replaced them with something non-EBC which I don't recall.
    Thanks for that info! I have the EBC green stuff pads. One thing I noticed is there are apparently some EBC lookalikes being sold by some places.

Note the differences in the pictures below. Ones sold by pieces fulvia are marked EBC on the back and have nothing on the break in material. Not the same as the ones rosso corsa is selling. Maybe they just changed how they mark them over time but it seemed a little suspicious to me.

https://www.pieces-fulvia.com/set-of...all-models.htm

https://www.ricambilanciafulvia.it/e...a-1-serie.html

Downloads
    Uploads

I had the ones with the break-in text on the red running-in face and nothing on the back. Those are fine. But as you say, they may well have changed things, mine are installed for a number of years ago now, so they may have changed markings...

The picture on rosso corsa is not necessarily recent, and the ones you get when ordering from them may also have a different finishing.

The hard thing these days is to know if you get quality or something bogus... Even from reputable shops, they get conned as well sometimes by their suppliers
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information