Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Restoring my Solex carbs - but which type are they?

Hi Hubert

got the German Korinth VPG-2 today (the one you pointed to on Ebay germany). In the end, I drove over to them to get it. Didn't look at it yet. It probably will need a bit of maintenance/cleaning/restoration. I think I can figure out how to use it, but if you ever get hold of a manual (can be in German) it would be nice to have one.

Mx
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Marnix,

that sounds good. Talked to one of my club mates at the Lancia regular´s table yesterday. He knows the device from a friend who is doing carb restorations as you are although that guy is not Lancia related. My friend has seen the device being used and is quite sure that the owner has a manual for it. If I get hold of a copy it will be my pleasure to pass it on to you.

One application is to measure the capacity of the acceleration pump, by filling the glas column at the left with gas and then do a certain number of strokes. Instead of catching the squirt and measure, you cn read the volume on the scale.

BTW made some vacuum tests today regarding the "vacuum cleaner-project"

1. using a modified kitchen hood, Miele, power 165 W: hardly made 5 mbar
    2. industrial vacuum cleaner, Festo, power 1,2 kW: 160 mbar
    3. industrial suction machine, Ruwac, power 4kW: 200 mbar

What do you think, will this be enough to test carbs at the bench?

Hubert
    Last edited by Akonaut; 22nd March 2019 at 12:57 AM.
    Hubert
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP, Mercedes Benz Unimog U406

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Akonaut View Post
    Hi Marnix,

that sounds good. Talked to one of my club mates at the Lancia regular´s table yesterday. He knows the device from a friend who is doing carb restorations as you are although that guy is not Lancia related. My friend has seen the device being used and is quite sure that the owner has a manual for it. If I get hold of a copy it will be my pleasure to pass it on to you.

One application is to measure the capacity of the acceleration pump, by filling the glas column at the left with gas and then do a certain number of strokes. Instead of catching the squirt and measure, you cn read the volume on the scale.

BTW made some vacuum tests today regarding the "vacuum cleaner-project"

1. using a modified kitchen hood, Miele, power 165 W: hardly made 5 mbar
    2. industrial vacuum cleaner, Festo, power 1,2 kW: 160 mbar
    3. industrial suction machine, Ruwac, power 4kW: 200 mbar

What do you think, will this be enough to test carbs at the bench?

Hubert
    those are interesting numbers hubert. i'm surprised at the value.
    the 4 column manometer i use measures up to 42 cmhg. quite a bit higher than the 200 mbar with the 4 kw machine. my engine actually pulls the manometer to a very high reading when all is balanced.
    but if the real goal is to balance the opening (or closing) of the butterfly on the carb i think the suction provided may not be as important as the means to measure it. (within reason anyway) but i don't know if the loss is linear as vacuum rises without actually testing it, but it's easy enough to do some testing at different values to see how linear the result. plotting the outcome may provide some insight.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mmmhhhmm... the values of the vacuum cleaner are a bit disapointing. On my measurement instrument the typical values I get for a balanced engine at idle is around 25cmHg (but I have no idea how accurate the indication is really). The industrial vacuium cleaner barely makes it to 15cmHg.

But I really think it doesn't matter. I want to use it for two purposes:

1. see if the butterflies close off enough to be able to set a low enough idle
    2. equally important, have an idea about the DIFFERENCE in "air leak" with closed throtles plates between the two.

It may actually not be very important at what vacuum setting this is measured. As long as there is a practical reference on the vacuum drop of the vacuum cleaner totally closed off and the vacuum cleaner sucking trough the carb with closed throttle versus the limits of the carb closing of on a real running engine at idle.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Hubert

I had a quick look at the tester. I removed the rear cover plate to have a look inside. Some functions are not going to be useful on the specific carbs of the Fulvia (but may be on carbs of a Flavia/Flaminia). For example, the underpressure at the right is for those carbs that have a vacuum capsule for a secondary throttle plate.

You are right about the measurement of the acceleration pump. You can measure how much it has consumed when doing the 20 pump actions. It is one of the functions provided.

There is not function as we have been talking about to really supply a continues vacuum.

I still have to figure out some stuff.

And yes, if you could get hold of copies of a manual, that would be very interesting.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    Hubert

I had a quick look at the tester. I removed the rear cover plate to have a look inside. Some functions are not going to be useful on the specific carbs of the Fulvia (but may be on carbs of a Flavia/Flaminia). For example, the underpressure at the right is for those carbs that have a vacuum capsule for a secondary throttle plate.

You are right about the measurement of the acceleration pump. You can measure how much it has consumed when doing the 20 pump actions. It is one of the functions provided.

There is not function as we have been talking about to really supply a continues vacuum.

I still have to figure out some stuff.

And yes, if you could get hold of copies of a manual, that would be very interesting.
    I may be way to late for you but I have found this a very useful book for tuning tips - see https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=solex+c...ref=nb_sb_noss

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Hankc007 View Post
    I may be way to late for you but I have found this a very useful book for tuning tips - see https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=solex+c...ref=nb_sb_noss
    I have also just had my recently purchased spare pair of Solex 42 DDHF for my 1600HF beautifully restored in Italy. They went from Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before the magician.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	14911 to Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adriano the magician restoration of second set.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	14912 - amazing ....and in 16 days total including transportation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Hankc007 View Post
    I have also just had my recently purchased spare pair of Solex 42 DDHF for my 1600HF beautifully restored in Italy. They went from Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before the magician.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	14911 to Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adriano the magician restoration of second set.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	14912 - amazing ....and in 16 days total including transportation.
    I did the same but new butterflies will need some work as they are catching...... Too far to resend back. That is the only downfall from using this type of service. But great work otherwise and not expensive.

Thread Information