Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Flavia engine producing strange whistling noise

After rebuilding this engine it produces a very strange noise. Does anyone have an idea where it comes from?

https://youtu.be/I6sSLmSttNY

Thanks for any advice.

(Sorry for the poor quality of the video)

Hubert
    Hubert
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP, Mercedes Benz Unimog U406

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Flavia engine producing strange whistling noise

Sounds rather like the "ringing" sound that comes from the cooling fan. Is the fan belt attached?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    Sounds rather like the "ringing" sound that comes from the cooling fan. Is the fan belt attached?
    What i did in the meantime:

- checked and adjusted tension of the v-belt, no effect

- diconnected the generator, no effect

- disconnected fan, waterpump and generator by taking off the belt, no effect

- replaced the carburator, noise is gone.

The inspection of the carb showed that its baseplate is not even any more. The four corners are bent down from tightening to strong, so there is a gap forming in the middle. This gap (actually four gaps, even at the short sides of the baseplate) obviously is too big to be closed by the gasket but not big enough to let the engine die from lean mixture. Furthermore the false air being sucked in seems to have created the whistling.

Hubert
    Hubert
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP, Mercedes Benz Unimog U406

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Here is the repair of the carb. Forget the German text, the pics (click to enlarge) do it as well.

http://www.lanciaclubdeutschland.de/index.html

Milled the baseplate by 0,7 mm to get the inner sealing surface clean. One of the long sides is not clean at the outside, but I did not want to take away even more material. Used very little of sealing compound to do the rest.

Hubert
    Last edited by Akonaut; 20th January 2019 at 04:42 AM.
    Hubert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

This world is a lonely place

when you report about a Flavia . . . .
    Hubert

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

At least quieter. But we're still listening (and thinking about the one 40DCZ on the Spider I surfaced twenty some years ago).

The larger issue with this, at least with the Webers, is that as the base bends it can distort the cylinder, making it impossible for the throttle plate to close properly. There is a shop out here that can correct it by putting spacers under the corners, heating it j u s t enough to help it move, but not so much as to kill it, and using a screw plate, pulling it down a bit at a time. But I won't let them bore the shaft bushes oversize.

Not sure if the Solex suffers the same?
    -Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Steve,

thank you for your encouraging words. The Flavia either is not so much in the focus or it does not develop so many issues. In public interest its stand back behind the omnipresent Fulvia (which absolutely deserves the publicity) and is overshadowed by the Flaminia with far smaller volumes but more shine. When I studied economics I learned about the American economist Michael Porter, who identified a "stuck in the middle" position regarding business strategies. The Flavia always reminds me of that.

I have not experienced a distorted cylinder on a carb, but have rectified carbs by putting thin paper under the corners and than pressing them.

Hubert
    Last edited by Akonaut; 21st January 2019 at 03:44 AM.
    Hubert

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Having listened many times again, it sounds more like avacuum induction noise rather than mechanical.
    A bit difficult to judge from the film clip but it doessound like the whistle varies with engine speed.
    I admit I know littleabout this engine but from the link it appears that it is possible to measurevacuum pressure – could there be a leak?
    http://www.viva-lancia.com/fulvia/qanda/carbs/tuning.php

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eog View Post
    Having listened many times again, it sounds more like avacuum induction noise rather than mechanical.
    A bit difficult to judge from the film clip but it doessound like the whistle varies with engine speed.
    I admit I know littleabout this engine but from the link it appears that it is possible to measurevacuum pressure – could there be a leak?
    http://www.viva-lancia.com/fulvia/qanda/carbs/tuning.php
    Yes, in deed it was a vacuum issue. The video was not really clear, I know, but I did not want to run the engine too long without cooling to make a better one, sorry for that. There was some squeaking noise when starting, but that was only due to the low revs.

I have machined the base of the carb and the noise ist gone.

Hubert
    Last edited by Akonaut; 21st January 2019 at 04:08 PM.
    Hubert

Thread Information