Thread: S2 Fulvia Heater motor removal

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

S2 Fulvia Heater motor removal

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this is a repost, I understand there was an issue with the site and my previous thread never came up - trying again.

I'm hoping for some guidance please relating to the removal of the heater fan assembly on a S2 Fulvia.

I'm facing two issues at the moment. These are as follows:

1. Removal of the metal air intake duct leading to the heater fan at the rear of the engine compartment

This duct is held in place by two bolts - one on either side. I managed to remove the right one as it was a nut that screwed off. The left side however seems to be a bolt with the nut on the inside of the firewall. This bolt was already a bit loose but I need to lock the nut in order to get this out. Is there a way to access this nut, from under the dash?

2. Removal of the heater fan motor

I have removed the fan blade. Behind the fan blade are three nuts holding the fan motor in place which I removed. In front of the fan motor is a plastic cover that needs to be removed to get the electric motor out. It looks like it needs to twist to the left and then slot off. I'm unable to twist it to the left and don't want to force it. Is this the correct way to remove it or is there a trick to it?

Please see the attached photos for more info.

Thanks and regards
    Jacque.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190110_193812_1547142061850_resized - Copy.jpg   20190110_193817_1547142060276_resized - Copy.jpg   20190110_193805_1547142063336_resized - Copy.jpg  

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: S2 Fulvia Heater motor removal

If it's anything like the S1, you can get to it under the dash. I've just removed mine, although I had already removed everything else from the dash before hand which obviously made it a lot easier. But I'm sure a socket on a long extension and a bit of poking around will do the trick.
    Sorry, can't help with the fan motor question.

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys,

thanks Lsdiff for your response.

I had a good look from under the dash and couldn't find the slipping nut. I'll be able to find it if I remove the dash which I plan to do in the near future anyways. I’m sure the removal of the heater radiator will include the process to get to this nut but I think it’s a rather big job to do this.

Lucky for me the problem bolt was a bit loose and I suspect someone tried removing it at some stage but could only undo it so much before it started slipping and then just left it. I used a hacksaw blade to get in behind the air inlet duct and firewall and following a good effort by hand (+15 minutes) I managed to saw through the bolt with minimal damage to any other areas. As an interim fix I will use a cable tie or another means to keep the inlet duct in place on that side when I put everything back.

Now that I had proper access to the fan motor I was able to see how the plastic cover needed to come off. The twist off cover is locked in place by a pin on the fan blade housing. I pulled the plastic cover forward above the pin and then was able to twist it left over the pin and then slot it off. The motor is has 3x wires connected to it.

I have some surface rust on the radiator fins and plan to use a spray bottle with rust converter to mist some rust converter over the fins in an effort to curb the rust until I eventually remove the radiator for restoration.

Hope this helps someone.

Happy motoring
    Jacque.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190114_190452_1547615708058_resized.jpg   20190114_190302_1547615705806_resized.jpg   20190115_171137_1547615709509_resized.jpg   20190115_171837_1547615711261_resized.jpg  
    Last edited by dvillijg; 16th January 2019 at 03:24 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like someone replaced the heater and fan before as these bolts don't look original to me. Too long.
    That said, it is quite possible to remove the whole heater box from the inside without too much dismantling of the car. Drain the system very well (blow through with compressed air) as you will otherwise create a mess inside the car and be careful when removing the 'arms and legs' that come from the operating panel. It helps if you can have the aid of a second person inside the car while you are working from the engine bay.

Thread Information