New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Beta cam identification

Hi my name is Michael and I'm a new Lancisti from Denmark, I actually dont own a Lancia but a Fiat 124 Spider with a 2,0 Beta engine No. 828B1000U324169, these cams were installed, but I couldn't use them due to the missing drive for the Fiat dizzy.
    There is nothing written on the cams except for 10,3 R, I've attached some photos of the cams, and I hope to get wiser about this before putting them up for sale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1059.JPG   IMG_0977.jpg   IMG_1057.JPG   IMG_1058.JPG  

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Beta cam identification

No idea if they're aftermarket cams but probably not; they appear to be for a Beta with fuel injection, going by the distributor drive slot on the end of the exhaust cam.
    Best regards,
    -Tye (1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider)

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."
    -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tye

That's very interesting, was it only the fuel injected Betas that came with he slot in the end for the dizzy drive?
    They came out of my new engine it ran with dual Dellorto 45 mm DRLA carburetors, I think these cams are pretty hot given the lift (10,3 mm) and the duration that's maybe 300 degrees.

Regards
    Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Judging from the lobe profile, those definitely look like some pretty hot cams. They remind me of a pair of 42/82 Alquati cams I once had. Stock cams would have a rough casting look between the lobes and no multiple holes on the sprocket end.

Quote Originally Posted by kryger View Post
    Hi Tye

That's very interesting, was it only the fuel injected Betas that came with he slot in the end for the dizzy drive?
    They came out of my new engine it ran with dual Dellorto 45 mm DRLA carburetors, I think these cams are pretty hot given the lift (10,3 mm) and the duration that's maybe 300 degrees.

Regards
    Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kryger View Post
    was it only the fuel injected Betas that came with he slot in the end for the dizzy drive?
    With hot carbs, hot cams would make sense to take better advantage of the better breathing. AFAIK, only FI Betas came with cam-end driven dizzys as stock; however, that dizzy mount may have been a build choice, so the engine might not have been FI originally, just a matter of using the FI-style cambox. Speaking of, you'll want to use Fiat camboxes for your Fiat, as the Lancia camboxes have altered oil drainage to account for the canted-over engine in the Beta. If a cam-end dizzy won't fit in your Fiat, you might consider using distributorless electronic igniton to keep the hot cams you have?
    Best regards,
    -Tye (1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider)

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."
    -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

With hot carbs, hot cams would make sense to take better advantage of the better breathing. AFAIK, only FI Betas came with cam-end driven dizzys as stock; however, that dizzy mount may have been a build choice, so the engine might not have been FI originally, just a matter of using the FI-style cambox. Speaking of, you'll want to use Fiat camboxes for your Fiat, as the Lancia camboxes have altered oil drainage to account for the canted-over engine in the Beta. If a cam-end dizzy won't fit in your Fiat, you might consider using distributorless electronic igniton to keep the hot cams you have?
    Thanks for the heads up about the camboxes, but I bought the engine from guy I've known for a while thru the Fiat community here in Copenhagen and he told me that he and a pal of his, bought a Fiat Spider with this engine, the car was to far gone, so they stripped it for parts and the engine had been sitting in his garage for 20 years, so there was already Fiat camboxes and oil pan mounted on the engine, it took me three day to clean all the old dirt of.
    The head was of the engine maybe because of a problem with the head gasket, so I got the head skimmed and pressure tested and it as all good.
    The engine is mounted in my car now, and I have installed two other not so hot Fiat cams with 9,95 mm lift an less duration. I bought a pair of hot cams with a 10,7 mm lift and about the same duration as the Lancia cams.
    I've attached some before and after photos of the engine pre. install and some of my new cams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1076.jpg   IMG_1077.JPG   IMG_1061.JPG   IMG_1062.JPG   IMG_1063.JPG  

Last edited by kryger; 23rd January 2019 at 01:57 PM.

Thread Information