Thread: Starter Removal

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Starter Removal

Have been having intermittent starter problems where starter will not engage with start button is pushed, but will start fine when jumped at the starter terminals. Going to pull it this month and send it to get rebuilt. Any tips/tricks/hazards for pulling the unit, and any recommendations for where to sent it? Located in So Cal. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Starter Removal

It's a pretty easy job to get the starter removed. I think there are only two bolts holding it in on the flywheel cover piece at the back of the engine. The main thing that would be in your way would be the mechanical fan if you have one.

I believe that just the engagement solenoids are available for purchase. To me it sounds like that is what you'd need.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

many times the solenoid can be disassembled and the contacts cleaned/filed to produce shiny copper again. the main post may also be able to rotate into a more favorable position if it's been worn down.
    this experience is with other solenoids, not from direct experience with fulvia ones. worth looking at though as they're very similar.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    many times the solenoid can be disassembled and the contacts cleaned/filed to produce shiny copper again. the main post may also be able to rotate into a more favorable position if it's been worn down.
    this experience is with other solenoids, not from direct experience with fulvia ones. worth looking at though as they're very similar.
    I have never been able to see a reliable way of opening up Fulvia solenoids. I think I have seen the Ducellier solenoid but not the Bosch. You need to check which type you have.

I would test the solenoid with a lead from the battery as sometimes the ignition switch is to blame. I have never had a solenoid problem just the solenoid lead problem......

Also as a general point disconnect the battery before pulling the starter motor....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    I have never been able to see a reliable way of opening up Fulvia solenoids. I think I have seen the Ducellier solenoid but not the Bosch. You need to check which type you have.

I would test the solenoid with a lead from the battery as sometimes the ignition switch is to blame. I have never had a solenoid problem just the solenoid lead problem......

Also as a general point disconnect the battery before pulling the starter motor....
    ahh, like i said, i haven't looked specifically at the fulvia solenoid. must be riveted together?
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

The starter motor of my Fulvia 1.2 Coupe from '67 is a Bosch. Luckily a company here in Eindhoven (The Netherlands) was able to refurbish it.
    It costed me around 70 Euro

http://www.startmotoren-eindhoven.nl

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

At this occasion you may want to address the ignition switch issue (as lancialulu mentioned). The contacts of the ignition switch tend to build up some transfer resistance leading to lower voltage at the consumers mainly solenoid of starter and ignition coil. The resistance inside the ignition switch may lead to melting contacts, destroying the switch.

By using this circuit the ignition switch only has to carry the low current of the relays instead of the high currents of the consumers which are carried by the load contacts of the relays in this case. Even a worn ignition switch will manage to actuate the relays without further wearout.

I am using this on my Flaminias and the Flavia. You may place it close to the ignition switch behind the dashboard. It is removable if you want to win Pebble Beach or Villa d´Este.

Hubert
    Last edited by Akonaut; 5th January 2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: addition
    Hubert
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP, Mercedes Benz Unimog U406

Downloads
    Uploads

I also added a relay. The (S1) contact switch doesn't seem up to the current required.

There is one downside: when the battery is almost depleted, the voltage goes that low with starting that the relay in my car goes off from too low voltage. Then the starter motor stops, which increases the voltage again, so the relay pulls on again, and so on. Some kind of rapid oscillation. But that only happens when the battery is almost totally depleted, and I hardly ever got that problem.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information