Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing Question

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Timing Question

Ok had it run for a few seconds on it's own, actually seems flooded and I haven't hit it with starter fluid for hours.
    The ignition trigger at the relay combo is only reading 4 volts so I have some bleed through or something going on. When I jump that wire to a test wire the mass air flow will trip the fuel pump, same with starting. Figured out the yellow lone wire under the hood is the neg trigger off the coil that trigger the ecu so have that hooked up. Will have to test the injectors, sure they need to be cleaned but I think it is running on it's own devices (save the test wires). Starter wire is only turning to 4 volts as well.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Even Better did some testing and it is getting fuel through the system, not running all that great but it does run on its own right now. Seems to flood itself out pretty easy and since I don't have the radiator connected I don't want to run it too long as is.But good to see it is healthy engine wise.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipinGa View Post
    Even Better did some testing and it is getting fuel through the system, not running all that great but it does run on its own right now. Seems to flood itself out pretty easy and since I don't have the radiator connected I don't want to run it too long as is.But good to see it is healthy engine wise.
    Great news!
    Maybe your suspicions on the injectors leaking is true. I sent mine to this witchhunter guy and he did a nice job. I have to tell you, I sent him my spare set that had sat for well over a decade and his "before" report didn't look too bad at all.

https://www.witchhunter.com/

Other thoughts: there is a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail that is supposed to lessen the pressure at idle (high vacuum). With the vacuum line plugged in or not plugged in, it doesn't seem to make too much difference on my car. Same with the lambda sensor. full-rich and full-lean are not that different. Also, people like to "improve" the airflow meter by messing with the clock spring in it so that it gets richer sooner. Look for a sloppily sealed cover on it. Still, maybe a combination of things are adding up to the flooding.
    1974 Fiat X1/9
    1981 Lancia Zagato

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LanciaPaul View Post
    Great news!
    Maybe your suspicions on the injectors leaking is true. I sent mine to this witchhunter guy and he did a nice job. I have to tell you, I sent him my spare set that had sat for well over a decade and his "before" report didn't look too bad at all.

https://www.witchhunter.com/

Other thoughts: there is a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail that is supposed to lessen the pressure at idle (high vacuum). With the vacuum line plugged in or not plugged in, it doesn't seem to make too much difference on my car. Same with the lambda sensor. full-rich and full-lean are not that different. Also, people like to "improve" the airflow meter by messing with the clock spring in it so that it gets richer sooner. Look for a sloppily sealed cover on it. Still, maybe a combination of things are adding up to the flooding.
    Thanks again Paul.

I am going to say poor firing is the cause right now. I have a new rotor on the way as this one must have hit the cap at some point and will free spin on the shaft. Actually had it idle on its own for a while yesterday. I want to get the ignition components locked down and go from there. I knew the cold start injector was working from the get go as I cold see it spraying. The latches for the cap were pretty much useless so I spent some time getting all of that sorted so I can lock it all down and not guess.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Amazing what happens when you get new good parts.

New rotor (that will stay put on the shaft)cap and wires and the car fired right up. It will idle on it's own, has a delay in throttle response so guessing that is due to vacuum leaks of mass air flow sensor, but pretty happy not to have to deal with the FI system that much.
    For now I am moving to cooling system and exhaust. Someone unbolted the exhaust right at the lambda sensor so it is fairly loud when ran and the neighbors can't be happy when I crank it.
    It still needs some wiring but I may end up selling this car so may just get it stable to run and let someone else run with it. I have another project that needs to finish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipinGa View Post
    Amazing what happens when you get new good parts.

New rotor (that will stay put on the shaft)cap and wires and the car fired right up. It will idle on it's own, has a delay in throttle response so guessing that is due to vacuum leaks of mass air flow sensor, but pretty happy not to have to deal with the FI system that much.
    For now I am moving to cooling system and exhaust. Someone unbolted the exhaust right at the lambda sensor so it is fairly loud when ran and the neighbors can't be happy when I crank it.
    It still needs some wiring but I may end up selling this car so may just get it stable to run and let someone else run with it. I have another project that needs to finish.

Oh boy, wait until you see that exhaust manifold set-up! Open-end wrench access only for the top part of the manifold to lambda sensor part of the manifold. You really have to try to tighten the heck out of it or the gaskets blow-out. Not a good combination (not way to get a torque wrench on it). IIRC, the studs are M9x1.25 which is a bastard size. And the nuts, the nuts are 13mm hex like an M8 but are threaded for an M9 (obviously). The good news is that if you lose a nut you can tap out an M8 easy enough but you need the M9x1.25 tap. I'm a 25 year member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and I would say that that exhaust manifold is a black-eye on a otherwise wonderfully engineered car.
    1974 Fiat X1/9
    1981 Lancia Zagato

Thread Information