Downloads
    Uploads

Brakes come on when I turn?

Hi all,
    Very strange - I've not had this before.
    The brakes on my Delta Evo 1 seem to come on when I turn either Left or Right.
    The more I turn, the heavier it brakes.

On full lock (left in particular) the car will come to a heavy stop as if I'm really pushing the brake pedal.

Does not seem to be dependent on the level of the car/compression of suspension arms etc, but rather the angle of the wheels as they turn lock to lock.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Josh

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Brakes come on when I turn?

Can't say I've come across that before, are both front brakes coming when it does this or just one side?
    Thinking of what can have lateral movement I can only think of wheel bearings and the hub itself, but that sounds too simple, are the brakes actually coming on or could it be a tyre making contact and dragging the speed down.
    Have you jacked the front of the car and look what's happening when you turn it on lock?
    Brian

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Blockage acting as a one way valve in the flexi hose. Jack the front end up and get someone to turn the wheel whilst you turn the front wheels by hand to see if its one side, or both. Then instead of steering play with the flexi hose whilst rotating the wheel to see if thats the issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    Can't say I've come across that before, are both front brakes coming when it does this or just one side? Thinking of what can have lateral movement I can only think of wheel bearings and the hub itself, but that sounds too simple, are the brakes actually coming on or could it be a tyre making contact and dragging the speed down.
    Have you jacked the front of the car and look what's happening when you turn it on lock?
    Brian
    Not sure whether it's one or both sides - haven't had a chance to investigate properly - will jack the car up and see. I will try to see if there's movement in the bearings or hub as well, however it recently passed its Warrant of Fitness (our MOT equivalent), and I'd like to think they would have picked that up... also, no noise like a worn bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoF1RST View Post
    Blockage acting as a one way valve in the flexi hose. Jack the front end up and get someone to turn the wheel whilst you turn the front wheels by hand to see if its one side, or both. Then instead of steering play with the flexi hose whilst rotating the wheel to see if thats the issue.
    Thanks - good suggestion, I will try this.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had an issue bleeding the brakes once, fluid with no bubbles coming out of all the callipers but still a long pedal, then one of the front calipers had no fluid even though the pedal was being pressed and feeling spongy. I isolated the problem to be the flexi-hose, took it off and tried blowing down it, tried an airline, it appeared blocked. Finally figuring it was dead I repeatedly cut it with a knife out of curiosity until I came across a section that was solid rubber, like there was never a hole in it, except there must have been! ... Odd things brake pipes. Hope thats all it is as easy fix.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Over time rubber hoses can collapse internally and yet seem fine externally. Braided hoses tend not to do this but with these the braid degrades and can break up damaging the inner tube. Regular checks and replacement advised!

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoF1RST View Post
    I had an issue bleeding the brakes once, fluid with no bubbles coming out of all the callipers but still a long pedal, then one of the front calipers had no fluid even though the pedal was being pressed and feeling spongy. I isolated the problem to be the flexi-hose, took it off and tried blowing down it, tried an airline, it appeared blocked. Finally figuring it was dead I repeatedly cut it with a knife out of curiosity until I came across a section that was solid rubber, like there was never a hole in it, except there must have been! ... Odd things brake pipes. Hope thats all it is as easy fix.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-m View Post
    Over time rubber hoses can collapse internally and yet seem fine externally. Braided hoses tend not to do this but with these the braid degrades and can break up damaging the inner tube. Regular checks and replacement advised!
    Yes I know, thanks for that little gem... Must remember to dissect my brake lines every 12 months...

Thread Information