Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: forum power part 2 - wiring problemo...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Re: forum power part 2 - wiring problemo...

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    Just a slight expansion on bmarler's remark on not all ground connections being shown: the diagram shows all EXPLICIT ground connections, where there is actually a wire connecting to the chassis. It does not show implicit connections, where a device is connected to the chassis directly, and the ground connection is made by the device being fixed on the chassis.

The ground wire from the wiper switch (and from there to the light switch) to the chassis is explicitly shown on the diagram.
    really? i'll have to look closer. i just remember when i was chasing the turn indicator circuit i couldn't find all the locations where the wires landed. i thought there were some things missing. (there were missing things in my case, the turn wiring was different than the dwg.)
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg7 View Post
    Thanks for helping guys. I'll take another good look at the weekend as this gives me some ideas to look into. Until then I'd at a loss.
    hello, not owning a Fulvia series 1 and too lazy to check the electrical diagrams ;
    but : are those switches provided with a 'dashboard light ' ?
    -if not : I don't see why there should be an earth going to a pos. circuit ?
    - if yes : makes sense for the light in the switch and I would check for a wrong wiring on the light switch or a short in the switch itself.
    ( or : the black wire is positive ( with earth being contact from the lightbulb to the carbody) connecting all the dashboardlights ( in the switches) and makes sense that 12 v enters when light is switched on)

It's just a tought , don't know the car and didn't check the wiring diagram.
    Hope this helps, and keep the smoke in the wires ! Geert.
    Last edited by geert; 2nd October 2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: another idea

Downloads
    Uploads

sorry double post

Downloads
    Uploads

Im fairly sure that this is an earth wire that needs to go to an earth in the dash panel area that the clock etc are in. I think that on my car it was connected to an earth in that area possibly the small knurled nut on the back of the clock or a nut there abouts.
    The switching for my car ( the series 1...as that is all I have experience of ) is confusing as the switches in a circuit are after whatever they are switching, in effect on the negative side of the circuit. So if theres a poor earth anywhere in the circuit the power will go via the shortest alternative route which could be anywhere making all sorts of strange things happen. Like the lights getting a voltage when they are not necessarily switched on.
    I traced an non working front indicator to a poor earth at the rear light.... After alot of searching, blown fuses and head scratching.
    series 1 1200 fulvia coupe rolling restoration
    series 1 1300 fulvia coupe rallye definitely in bits

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

All sorted now so big thanks for all the replies - in the end I connected the black cable from the wiper switch and the earth from the cigarette lighter together to the threaded bolt on the back of the clock - which seems to be an earth point. The clock's light bulb shroud takes it's earth from the back of the clock's metal surface also. Everything seems to work ok now.

I wasn't able to get my head around why the black cable from the wiper switch was running 12v when the headlight switch was pulled out, but after the various answers that now makes sense. I don't think I could see the wood for the trees.

Just got to put the rest of it back together now. I'll post some photos soon once it's done. Managed to re-varnish the dash and sprayed the metal strip between the dash and windscreen in crinkle black so starting to look pretty promising...

Thread Information