Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forum power part 2 - wiring problemo...

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

forum power part 2 - wiring problemo...

After taking the dash off to repair the clock (I managed to get it working for about an hour then stopped so not very successful ), I'm now struggling to get the wires reconnected. I thought I'd taken enough pictures etc. but obviously not and can't remember how to reconnect them. The thing that is stumping me is the black wire that loops from the light control switch to the wipe motor switch. I was expecting it to be an earth wire as the S1 wiring diagram seems to suggest this is. But for some reason when the light control switch is pulled out it becomes live c.12.4v. So the question is - why would there be a live feed to the wiper motor switch that is only live when the headlights are on. And what does the other end of the wire connect to (the bit with the ring connector on the end)?

It's driving me crazy after about 3 hours fruitless messing, so any ideas would be very gratefully received please?

The wire/cable in question is the black one that goes from the r/h side lighting switch to the 3rd rocker switch (top centre of the photo) and then into thin air with the ring connector lying on the bottom left of the photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire3.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	592.5 KB 
ID:	14114

Name:	wire2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	14115

old photo doesn't help much and I'm not even sure it was connected correctly to begin with. The clock never worked and it looks like the light was never inserted into it and there's no earth cable to it. I've also replaced the windscreen washer switch which was a non-original toggle switch for an original pump action one - so that's the reason this bit doesn't look the same in the old photo:

Name:	old.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	14116

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: forum power part 2 - wiring problemo...

Not sure it will help, but the clock (at least in S1) has an internal light, that is switched on with the headlights.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Marmix, but I'm ok with the power to the clock light bulb and the clock itself (both of these are running under the mystery black cable in the photo). I just can't figure out what the black wire that's running to & from the windscreen wiper switch is (shown as 16 on the wiring diagram). It looks like it should be going to earth, but it becomes live when the headlight switch is on. There's nothing else that's doesn't seem to be not connected or working so I might just tape it off.

65 - clock
    16 - wiper switch
    13 - headlamp switch

Name:	wd2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	14117

Name:	wd.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	14118

Downloads
    Uploads

I can only tell for S1 installations, so what I am saying here may only be valid for the S1.

Both the light switch and the wiper motor switch have a GND and a live +12V connection (not going through the ignition switch). The wires for those on the light switch and wiper switch are indeed interconnected. It may be that the black GND wire is connected to the wrong terminal of the light switch, don't know. It is very hard to say without being able to look at it personally.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, was too hasty. The live 12V of the light switch and the live +12V for the wiper switch are coming from a different fuse, so they are not interconnected.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

I had a look at a spare S1 light switch. There is a tricky double contact stack where the GND connection is. The ground wire goes to the top terminal (actually, only for GND to the bulb). At the base of that stack, there is a +12V switched connection terminal, BUT THAT ONE IS ISOLATED FROM THE GND BY A PLASTIC INSULATION PIECE. If for some reason the insulator is not properly positioned, it may give contact with the switched +12V. It is a very narrow clearance, with actually a tiny plastic protrusion ring inserting in the switched +12V contact bases.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

keep in mind this actually could be a ground wire. it'd possible that it shows voltage through a device. (like a light bulb) i would trace the wire back to see exactly where it comes from. the wiring schematics don't show everything, they also don't indicate where all the grounding points actually are.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

To expand on the last remark, it may also be that the ground connection (connection to the chassis) is missing or doesn't give a good contact. In that wire isn't connected anywhere else but on both switches, it is simply a "floating" wire, and as mentioned on in the last remark, it will be pulled up to 12V through any other device connected to the light switch, like any of the bulbs. As far as I recall (and in compliance with the diagram) the black wire between light switch and wiper switch has a wire going to the chassis at the wiper switch. Is there a wire going to the chassis? Is it connected? Is the chassis connection good?
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for helping guys. I'll take another good look at the weekend as this gives me some ideas to look into. Until then I'd at a loss.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a slight expansion on bmarler's remark on not all ground connections being shown: the diagram shows all EXPLICIT ground connections, where there is actually a wire connecting to the chassis. It does not show implicit connections, where a device is connected to the chassis directly, and the ground connection is made by the device being fixed on the chassis.

The ground wire from the wiper switch (and from there to the light switch) to the chassis is explicitly shown on the diagram.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information