Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiator Fan switch

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Radiator Fan switch

Hi
    I purchased a new radiator fan switch and water temp sender switch for my S2 Coupe, neither has a gasket or washer and both now weep a tad.
    Should they have a washer or should I have two Shredded wheat and try to tighten them up?

Paul

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Re: Radiator Fan switch

if it's the fan switch mounted in the water pump i think it has a copper washer. not sure about the temp sensor, i'v never had it out.

i just looked at a picture of the gauge sender and it just looks like pipe thread. i'd use thread sealer on that one.
    Last edited by bmarler; 22nd September 2018 at 10:25 AM.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    if it's the fan switch mounted in the water pump i think it has a copper washer. not sure about the temp sensor, i'v never had it out.

i just looked at a picture of the gauge sender and it just looks like pipe thread. i'd use thread sealer on that one.
    Hi the fan switch is at the bottom of the radiator but I think it’s a good call about the sealer. I’ll do some research into the most appropriate.

Thanks ������

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

It should be a washer- copper or fibre. The thread is a parallel metric thread not a tapered pipe thread. There are two alternative positions for the switch- top of the water pump or bottom of the cooler (radiator).

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby Bates View Post
    Hi the fan switch is at the bottom of the radiator but I think it’s a good call about the sealer. I’ll do some research into the most appropriate.

Thanks ������

Downloads
    Uploads

Temp sensor is without washer. Screw in rather tight till you can't turn any further with reasonable force. Seals itself, slightly conical thread.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Switch in the radiator is with a copper crush washer. Can't say about the switch in the water pump. That position was actually used only very briefly in Fulvia history, I think only in the '69 Berlina (transition kind of model, at the beginning with radiators that didn't have a fitting in the radiator yet as far as I am aware). The water pump is not a very good location anyway, the fan should turn on when the coolant in the radiator is on, not directly on temperature in the water pump.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    Switch in the radiator is with a copper crush washer. Can't say about the switch in the water pump. That position was actually used only very briefly in Fulvia history, I think only in the '69 Berlina (transition kind of model, at the beginning with radiators that didn't have a fitting in the radiator yet as far as I am aware). The water pump is not a very good location anyway, the fan should turn on when the coolant in the radiator is on, not directly on temperature in the water pump.
    Thank you for the information.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-m View Post
    It should be a washer- copper or fibre. The thread is a parallel metric thread not a tapered pipe thread. There are two alternative positions for the switch- top of the water pump or bottom of the cooler (radiator).
    Thanks Phil, what surprises me is that they sell you a new switch without offering the washer.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I guess it depends on the supplier. I have a new sensor complete with washer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby Bates View Post
    Thanks Phil, what surprises me is that they sell you a new switch without offering the washer.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-m View Post
    I guess it depends on the supplier. I have a new sensor complete with washer.
    Which suppler do you recommend?

Thread Information