Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solex PHH-E3 parts

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Solex PHH-E3 parts

50% of the top of the emulsion tube head at the screwdriver slot has been broken away. I suspect from over tightening leaving a sort of delicate half moon shape for the seat area and no slot for a screwdriver to work effectively. However the threaded portion is undisturbed. It would help if knew how to post a pic from an iPhone, I could email a photo if you like.

Downloads
    Uploads

If it is the air corrector portion that is damaged, I may have a solution to propose. It may not be immediately obvious, but the emulsion tube and air corrector jet are two separate parts. The emulsion tube is press fitted into the jet. In the picture below you can see the PHH E3 emulsion tube/corrector jet at the bottom (I didn't separate the two parts), and at the top the same from the PHH, where I undid the two parts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foto-0059.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	386.6 KB 
ID:	13942

The emulsion tube is specific for the PHH E3, but the 180 air corrector jet is just the standard 180 jet as used on the PHH as well.

You can get the E3 emulsion tube out of the corrector jet by heating the jet (fairly hot, I used an electric heating gun, the brass may discolor even), at the same time - if possible - cooling the emulsion tube, and gently pulling the jet of the tube. Then you can press fit it in a good 180 air correction jet (possibly use heating again, same procedure as for removing). I didn't check, but alfa1750 used to have the air corrector jets (reproduction) available separately. Or you could use a normal surplus PHH 180 air corrector jet where you removed the PHH emulsion from (same way as for removing the emulsion tube from the E3 jet).

Hope this helps
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Marnix, all along I thought the air correction jet and emulsion tube were both one and the same and could not be separated. It’s the air correction jet that is damaged.
    I have a several good donor jets to cannibalize from a worn set of PHH.
    Thanks for your time and showing me how these carbs work, learn somthing new everyday here.
    Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe a bit late, but something important:

the position (height) of the holes in the emulsion tube is rather critical. What I would do is: before removing the emulsion tube from the damaged air corrector jet measure the position of the holes relative to the base of the air corrector jet (where it sits on the body of the carb). After replacing with the "donor" jet, check if the holes end up at the same distance. That distance is really rather critical, it defines the mixture versus power behavior of the carb. I am fairly sure you will end up with the correct distance, but better check.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip Marnix. Delicate operation, but successful. I did remove the adjacent tube and jet to make sure everything matched. Haven’t road tested it yet, still in the process of replacing the brake booster, and having some new lines made.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found two small brass plugs in the bottom of ultrasonic cleaner very similar to the ones in the bottom of the emulsion tubes. I cleaned a set of Phh-E3 and a set of normal phh, not at the same time, putting all small parts in a separate container. The emulsion tubes for the phh are not missing any of the plugs, the E3 emulsion tubes do not have any plugs in the bottom, should they? The accelerator pump bases have their plugs in place as well. Wondering where the two mistery plugs could have come from? Any place internal to the body of the carb have such a plug?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelarroz View Post
    I found two small brass plugs in the bottom of ultrasonic cleaner very similar to the ones in the bottom of the emulsion tubes. I cleaned a set of Phh-E3 and a set of normal phh, not at the same time, putting all small parts in a separate container. The emulsion tubes for the phh are not missing any of the plugs, the E3 emulsion tubes do not have any plugs in the bottom, should they? The accelerator pump bases have their plugs in place as well. Wondering where the two mistery plugs could have come from? Any place internal to the body of the carb have such a plug?
    There are several brass plugs on the carb body and head. Loook very carefully around the body and head to see if there aren't any suspicious holes. Looking from the outside, there shouldn't be any. There are a few on the inside as well. If you don't see anything, keep the plugs very securely stored, you may find out later where the plugs are missing from. The E3 emulsion tube don't seem to be plugged at the bottom indeed.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information