Thread: Charging light

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Charging light

Greetings Friends,

I haven't driven the Fulvia much, but the last time I did, the charging light came on. It flickers off at high revs, otherwise it's on. It sounds like brushes to me, but I'm new to Lancias, so I thought I'd toss it out. I've been studying the wiring diagram in preparation for full fielding the generator before I pull it off. There's a ground wire on the generator that wanders around the voltage regulator and eventually makes it way to the signal light on the dash. That seems to provide the ground to make the light on the dash glow. I disconnected the battery and field wires (I was surprised to find them connected with spade connectors - the battery connector was a bit loose, but I tightened it, no change) but left the ground wire connected. There may be a different method for full fielding this generator from an MG which has only two connectors at the generator. Any information is greatly appreciated. Oh, the belt's plenty tight.

Thank you,

Michael

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Charging light

Quote Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
    Greetings Friends,

I haven't driven the Fulvia much, but the last time I did, the charging light came on. It flickers off at high revs, otherwise it's on. It sounds like brushes to me, but I'm new to Lancias, so I thought I'd toss it out. I've been studying the wiring diagram in preparation for full fielding the generator before I pull it off. There's a ground wire on the generator that wanders around the voltage regulator and eventually makes it way to the signal light on the dash. That seems to provide the ground to make the light on the dash glow. I disconnected the battery and field wires (I was surprised to find them connected with spade connectors - the battery connector was a bit loose, but I tightened it, no change) but left the ground wire connected. There may be a different method for full fielding this generator from an MG which has only two connectors at the generator. Any information is greatly appreciated. Oh, the belt's plenty tight.

Thank you,

Michael
    Good Morning, Michael,

The Series 1 Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3 uses the Bosch two-brush generator, 0 101 206 072 according to Bosch-Classics.com. This generator has three connections, D+, DF or the field terminal, and D- or ground from the D- terminal from the voltage regulator. To check the output of this generator on the car, diconnect the D+ and DF wires at the generator and tape the ends so they don't arc against anything and set them aside in a safe place. Then, using a jumper wire, connect them together. With another jumper wire, connect the two jumped wires to the positive terminal of the battery. When the engine is started, if the generator is charging, there should be a reading at the battery with a multi-meter set to read DV volts of around 14volts, D.C. Be careful not to run the engine so long that the voltage spikes beyond 15 volts. That could damage components with too much heat. If the voltage never rises to about 14 volts, the generator is suspect. It may need brushes, bearings, or more. Good luck with your analysis, Michael.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Charging light

I recently rebuilt a dynamo (NOS armature, new bearings, re-wrapped field coils, etc.) Just note that if you're going to motor the dynamo as a quick way to test it, that these dynamos have field coils that are wired in series NOT SHUNT configuration. I made that mistake while testing and it made me think my armature had issues even though I had fixed the three shorts on the commutator bar. All that to say, if you want to run it as a motor to test that the armature isn't completely screwed up, connect DF and D- together to ground and D+ to the positive terminal on the battery. Also make sure you removed the belts if you do this

Thread Information