Thread: turn signal cam on the steering column question

Active Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

turn signal cam on the steering column question

So my '72 1600 would not cancel the turn signal stalk when I turned left, but did cancel with a right hand turn. The turn signal stalk was fussy, too, and would sometimes not light up the turn signal lights. I've now dismantled the turn signal assembly and discovered that it was quite gummed up, and the contacts needed cleaning, but my question is about the cam for cancelling the tune signal that is located on the steering column--the one in the photo. I've discovered that the cam slides up to of 1/4" up and down the steering column, and that it will also turn about 180 degree clockwise on the column (but not counter-clockwise). I'm thinking that the cam should not rotate or move fore and aft at all, that it should be solid on the shaft, and the fact that it does move prevents the cancellation when I turn left. Is that correct? (I should say that the mechanism on the stalk which engages the cam seems to be fine). .....rather an esoteric question, but I have no doubt that there are Fulvia turn signal experts out there!

Grrrrr.... I can't figure out how to upload a photo, despite having done so in the past.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: turn signal cam on the steering column question

Can't help you with your problem, but if you want to get a picture in your post...

type [img][/img] in the body of your post and then put a link to the URL of the image in between there like this [img]URLhere[/img].

That will embed the image into the post. Just upload the image to imgur or some other image hosting site and paste in the url and you should be good.

Downloads
    Uploads

[img]P1100185_zpsxpyshzkx.jpg[img]
    [img][img]

[img][img]
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a long time since I did something on the cam, and I got a S1, so it may be different.

As far as I recall, the possibility to turn the cam allows to adjust the cam for slight offset in the straight direction of the steering column. In the ideal world, when driving straight, and everything is aligned perfectly, the cam should be rightly positioned when driving straight. But a number of factors may lead to the steering column rotated slightly off when driving straight, so you can turn the cam to put it straight before the opening in the steering column position that really means straight on driving.

It should rotate BOTH ways, not only clockwise or anticlockwise, so you can adjust in either direction. When you say you can only turn in one direction, and not the other, means I think the steering column is NOT really set correctly, but rotated in one or the other direction from normal, to the limit of correction of the cam in only one direction (I hope it clear what I am saying).

Warning: this is what I seem to recall from a long time ago, and my memory is maybe no longer what is was, with old age etc... Best somebody else confirms this. But it makes sense.

Good luck. I do recall having to fiddle with it for hours.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

marnix is correct in that the cam can be adjusted so the position of cancellation is in a favorable spot in the rotation. then it should be locked down to prevent further movement. it's possible your screw has just loosened up, or maybe the threads are damaged. you'll just have to see.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    marnix is correct in that the cam can be adjusted so the position of cancellation is in a favorable spot in the rotation. then it should be locked down to prevent further movement. it's possible your screw has just loosened up, or maybe the threads are damaged. you'll just have to see.
    I’ve had a screw loosened up for years, but that’s in me, not the car. You are absolutely correct, the screw holding the cam was indeed loose and I could thereby rotate the cam with my finger. I didn’t think that was right. As always: thank you for the collective wisdom on the forum!
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Thread Information