Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Startup

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

First Startup

Greetings All,

In two days, with great excitement, I'm expecting to take delivery of my beautiful 1968 Fulvia 1.3 Rallye. I've driven a Fulvia once - that's all it took. But I don't yet have any technical literature, and the Fulvia I drove was started and warmed for me. I think I remember, the choke the the lever under the dash to the left of the steering collumn, and ignition is a clockwise rotation of the key, then push on the key, but something tells me there's more I want to know. This car just arrived from the Netherlands and experience usually arrives immediately after I need it, so it makes sense to ask the stupid quesitons now. Coolant and oil level checks go without saying, and I'm planning to have ten gallons of high test gas available, I'll be there's more. Any words of advise are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Michael Kraft
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: First Startup

Hi Michael

welcome to the forum. You can ask away here, no problem. We all have been beginners on the Fulvia once.

There are CDs with manuals available from different sources on the Internet, and in downloads you may find some manuals too.

No worries about driving the car: it is basically a modern car, nothing very special.

The choke is where you indicate, but personally I try to avoid using it, as it makes the engine turn dirty. Priming one or two times pushing the throttle in before activating the starter will get it started (unless you are living in a rather cold climate), and then keep the engine at around 1200 RPM with the throttle for a minute or so, and it will keep on turning (at a surprisingly low RPM maybe, but the engine can take it).

The ignition switch operates as you mention it.

One thing that you may be puzzled about is the lights switch, a Lancia oddity: pull out till first stop, that's the first setting. Turn clockwise, and you can pull out further to the second position (the normal one). Switching off in the reverse sequence.

For the rest it is just about a normal car. It is intended to be a high revving engine, it probably won't pull much below 2000 RPM. That's quite normal. The engine doesn't mind revving up, and is most happy being revved between 2000 and 4000 RPM. It goes all the way till 6000 RPM without effort, be it it becomes quite noisy above 3500 RPM.

Mx
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Michael,
    Excellent advice from Marnix as ever, however one point regarding light switch position.
    On the series 1 when you pull it out to to first position it will bring on sidelights and dipped headlights, but if you push the indicator/headlight dip stalk on the steering column forward, this will actually turn the headlights out, leaving you with only the sidelights, a bit frightening if you happen to be enjoying the Fulvia's performance at the time down a country lanešŸ˜² when all the light disappears!
    When the switch is turned and pulled to the second position, the same stalk operates the main/dip positions, main beams indicated by a blue light.
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

you should know if your car has the standard fuel pump or electric. if it's the standard mechanical pump be aware it can take some time cranking the engine to fill the carburetor bowls. unlike marnix, i have to use the choke to get fire. i'm almost ready to start up with revised carbs though, and that might change. all cars have a sweet spot for starting procedure, you'll have to find yours.
    i have electric pump, so my routine goes like this.
    key on for maybe 5 seconds
    pump throttle fully twice
    choke on and crank (it's normal to hear a hissing sound with the choke on)
    choke off immediately upon startup
    work the throttle to keep engine running
    after a very brief warm up choke is no longer needed to start
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Many thanks, Gents,

I do intend to acquire a workshop manual and other technical information. I've just been waiting for my car. If it went down in the Atlantic, the workshop manual wouldn't be too much help. My car is a 1.3 Rallye, then, there was the 1.3S and I've wondered the difference. Is it a few more ponies or is there something more? There isn't too much information out there about the subtle differences among the Fulvias. I know I'll have many more questions. It's just about 24 more hours before my car is scheduled to arrive. I've been waiting six weeks. It'll be nice to enjoy my car instead of just wiring money all around the globe.

Thanks again,

Michael

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

This might not apply to everybody but my Fulvia sit in the garage for weeks and months sometimes.

After a long period of inactivity I take out the plugs, and churn the engine on the starter motor until the oil pressure gauge lifts from zero.

Then put back the plugs, so when you start the oil has been circulating through the system , the carburetors are topped up and it is good to go.

When the bottom end was stripped recently the crank and bearings were excellent.

The rebuild continues soI won't be running for some months yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
    My car is a 1.3 Rallye, then, there was the 1.3S and I've wondered the difference. Is it a few more ponies or is there something more? There isn't too much information out there about the subtle differences among the Fulvias.
    The most obvious difference is the 1,3 (818.302) engine is 9.0:1 compression; the 1,3S (818.303) is 9.5:1
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Of course each question and each answer raises another question, or more than one. If my engine is a 1.3 in reasonably good condition, do I need something more than regular gas?

Thanks, again, for the great information.

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

To add to Ed's comment: the higher compression ratio gives about 6 more ponies (87 for the 1.3 and 93 for the 1.3S).

About fuel: I think Ed can better comment on US nomenclature of octane numbers. The 1.3 runs on unleaded, no worries there. Do NOT, I repeat NOT, add lead substitute (there have been reports on lead substitute ruining valves, while the substitute is actually intended to protect those). I repeat, the engine runs fine on unleaded. As to the octane number: due to the relative low compression ratio of the 1.3 (9 is still considered high by many, but the Fulvia engine has a superb design, dealing with detonation better than some other makes) it can perfectly run on "regular" (whatever the number is they assign to it in the US, in the EU it would be 95; in the US they measure according to a different standard, resulting in different octane numbers).
    I have no idea about fuel in the US, but they have been adding something like 10% of ethanol to the regular fuel here in the EU, and this is considered bad for rubber seals, membranes, fuel tubes etc, and so many of us switched to "super" (EU octane number is 9 which is not needed really for the 1.3 and is more expensive, but it doesn't contain the ethanol. If there is no ethanol added to the fuel in the US, no worries, "regular" is fine.

Ed no doubt can give more details on the US fuel
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    To add to Ed's comment: the higher compression ratio gives about 6 more ponies (87 for the 1.3 and 93 for the 1.3S).

About fuel: I think Ed can better comment on US nomenclature of octane numbers. The 1.3 runs on unleaded, no worries there. Do NOT, I repeat NOT, add lead substitute (there have been reports on lead substitute ruining valves, while the substitute is actually intended to protect those). I repeat, the engine runs fine on unleaded. As to the octane number: due to the relative low compression ratio of the 1.3 (9 is still considered high by many, but the Fulvia engine has a superb design, dealing with detonation better than some other makes) it can perfectly run on "regular" (whatever the number is they assign to it in the US, in the EU it would be 95; in the US they measure according to a different standard, resulting in different octane numbers).
    I have no idea about fuel in the US, but they have been adding something like 10% of ethanol to the regular fuel here in the EU, and this is considered bad for rubber seals, membranes, fuel tubes etc, and so many of us switched to "super" (EU octane number is 9 which is not needed really for the 1.3 and is more expensive, but it doesn't contain the ethanol. If there is no ethanol added to the fuel in the US, no worries, "regular" is fine.

Ed no doubt can give more details on the US fuel
    I was at a gas-station in Germany and there it said on the fuel pump that the 'super' octane 98 has max. 5% ethanol... I asked the attendant and she says that there is no fuel sold in Germany without ethanol... !?
    Has someone a clue if this is right?

Anyway, there was written on the pumps:
    95 octane: max. 5% ethanol
    95 E10: 10% ethanol
    98 octane: max. 5% ethanol.

Thread Information