Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solex float level tools

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Solex float level tools

Float level needs to be 20 on the older ones (typical S1), and 19 on the younger ones (S2/3 type). Both + or - 1mm. For some reason Solex / Lancia changed it in S2/3 carbs (it may have been related to the fuel return line of the S2/3). So 22mm is a bit low...

If you like, you can gently bend the arms of the float a tiny bit upward to increase the fuel level. Don't overdo it, before you know you are wildly oscillating between much too high and then back much too low again. It is rather sensitive, the bending of the arms.

Best place to bend is where the central arm splits into the two separate arms.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice cheap trick with the BIC and the electrical terminal block contact
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Experienced Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had some 6 mm diameter glass tube which I simply heated with a propane torch and stretched to make it thinner. Worked well, but......

1) my emulsion tubes on my DDHF 42 have brass washers at their collars. I gather from here that these should not be here but are an attempt to get the fuel level correct. Is that right? Should I remove them?

2) I stick my lovely new glass measuring tube down the emulsion tube hole, block the top with my thumb, and draw up.... nothing..... no fuel in the tube. I haven’t run the car in a couple of weeks. Have the carbs drained through the return system or am I doing something really stupid?!
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

1) my emulsion tubes on my DDHF 42 have brass washers at their collars. I gather from here that these should not be here but are an attempt to get the fuel level correct. Is that right? Should I remove them?
    For the C.42 DDHF: you got to measure from the top of the body (without the seal). This means: 1. the 1mm washer under the air corrector jet have to be removed with the jet; 2. the air corrector jets are screwed into a raised brass fitting, that sticks 2mm higher thazn the top of the body. Solex specifies the float level as measured from the top of the body at 19mm + or - 1mm. But if you measure from the top of the air corrector fitting, which is 2mm thick, you got to add 2mm, so you end up that it should read 21mm + or - 1mm.

2) I stick my lovely new glass measuring tube down the emulsion tube hole, block the top with my thumb, and draw up.... nothing..... no fuel in the tube. I haven’t run the car in a couple of weeks. Have the carbs drained through the return system or am I doing something really stupid?!
    *laughing* You can bet that it has mostly evaporated by now!!! Certainly at least to below the level of your measurement tube. That's what fuel does, it evaporates. Lucky for us, or carbs wouldn't work. Unlike some belief, the top of the carb is open to the air.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

More reliable is making a tool as per Lancia/Solex to check the geometry of the floats vis a vis the neeedle valve....

Downloads
    Uploads

I disagree this time Tim:

1. I have either the wrong Solex float measurement tool, or there is missing information how to handle it. If you set the float arms according to the Solex tool AND you use the float needle valve washer thickness they specify per Lancia, I can tell you the float height is NOT as specified in the technical data. I am not out of it yet.

2. Whatever you do, it is the fuel height that matters in the end; it is a bit less important how you bend the arms and what washer thickness you use to get that (within certain limits of course, you can't bend the arms at 30 degrees and then reduce the washer thickness to a negative value).

3. As to accuracy of the measurement: the exact location where the fuel level needs to be right is in the (main jet) fuel well. Whatever it is elsewhere is actually not that much important (it is not the same everywhere anyway, as the carbs are tilted by some 5 - 10 degrees towards the inlet manifold). It needs to be right in the WELL for two reasons: 1. if too high, there is the risk fuel will overflow to the aux venturies through the feed holes from the well to the venturies (with some additional clearance for non-horizontal attitude of the car). 2. If it is too low, you need more suction to raise the fuel to the feed holes, meaning that the main feed will kick in later in the transition from idle over progression to main, because there needs to be a higher air flow for get the minimum suction to get the main fuel started. There is likely to be a (power) spot where the engine will hesitate at the end of the progression and beginning of main jet operation.

4. you can measure the fuel level with the tube with an accuracy of about 0.5mm (there is a certain amount of inaccuracy due to the fuel having a kind of "sticking" effect to the sides of the tube). the specified tolerance for fuel level is + or - 1mm. As said, it measures exactly where it counts: in the fuel well.

5. The official procedure from Lancia to measure fuel float level is the same really, only they measure by connecting an adapter in lieu of the acceleration pump, and read off in a glass tube with "communicating chambers" effect. The glass tube tool does the same really, only internally in the carb instead of externally as the official procedure prescribes (I got the tool they prescribe to use, only the method is clumsy and requires to have the carbs out of the car, so I only used it once merely out of curiosity)

I still need to take measurements of the Solex float tools. But first I have to get two carb sets out first towards people that have been waiting for ages...
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

A drawing I made of the Solex sight tube twenty five years ago. I have recently acquired said tool. I also had made adapters (on left of last pic) to fit Webers and clear linkage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solex fuel level guage.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	13932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9773.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	373.8 KB 
ID:	13933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9778.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	328.9 KB 
ID:	13934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9776.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	378.2 KB 
ID:	13935

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep! That's the tool. Missing is the adapter piece that you got to put in lieu of the acceleration pump and in which you got to screw this is.

It is beautiful stuff, but practical use is rather clumsy to be honest.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Adapters are easy enough to make. Two right there.

I had no problems using it on Aurelias and Flaminias, especially as they sit horizontal. The only issue I had was that the glass is, unfortunately, not actually square/vertical, so I had to calculate (and check with direct measure) the discrepancy. With that in mind, no problem.

That said, For the Weber DCZ/L, I've found that simply using a set of rods (3 and 10 mm if I remember correctly) to set float height works perfectly, and the accuracy was confirmed by the gauge.

Downloads
    Uploads

With "adapter" I was meaning the thing that is needed that you got to screw under the PPH / DDHF carburetors. I don't know the Aurelia / Flaminia carburetors, but may guess is that there is a location at the bottom where you can screw in the measurement tool directly in with the adapters you have shown. No such location on the PHH / DDHF carburetors. So the procedure is to remove the acceleration pump at the bottom completely on those and replace with a special "dummy" there that has a screw connection to connect the measurement tool. That's why I said that the use of it is "clumsy" (meaning the particular situation for the PHH / DDHF), having to dismantle part of your carburetors to be able to use it.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information