Thread: Water temp

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Water temp

Hi guys. I am wondering about my Fulvia water temperature.The gauge always shows between 90 to red zone,which,for me is quiet normal as water temp.Anyway,watching the needle in red zone doesn't make me feel good....Why does the 90 is so close to the red zone ? Do I have a problem ? My Fulvia is a S3 90HP from '72,belt drive fan.
    Thanks for your advice and feed back.

Philippe.

Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Water temp

Hello Phillipe,

You don't say if your car is losing coolant or not so I can only help part way. I have a 76 with the electric fan and I had a new radiator core fitted 2 years ago. My car now runs between 70 and 80 all the time in a hot climate. The only time that it ever showed 90 was with the original radiator core and then it ran hot most of the time.

The first thing to check is to make sure that the gauge is telling you the truth. It is a simple matter to use an infra red thermometer to see what the temp is at the sender on the water tube. If the gauge is giving the correct reading then I would look at flushing the cooling system and check the thermostat. Try it and see what happens.

If the gauge is overreading, then fit a new sender for the gauge.
    Last edited by NCboatrx; 7th July 2018 at 09:43 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E]Hi guys. I am wondering about my Fulvia water temperature.The gauge always shows between 90 to red zone,which,for me is quiet normal as water temp.Anyway,watching the needle in red zone doesn't make me feel good....Why does the 90 is so close to the red zone ? Do I have a problem ? My Fulvia is a S3 90HP from '72,belt drive fan.
    Hi Phil! With the standard thermostat, the water temperature should be between 70 and 80 in normal conditions. Mine doesn't exceed 90 even when driving hard. Only a traffic jam may cause it.
    But if the water level drops by about 1-2 cm, meaning that about 3/4 of a liter of coolant are missing, it will reach or exceed 90.

So I think with your cat, there may be an issue, or the thermostat has been swapped for a hotter one. I have heard from some owners they prefer that.

Hope this helps!

Bernt

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Philippe
    You said your car has a belt driven fan.
    Series 2/3 cars should have electric fan actuated by a thermo switch located in the bottom of the radiator. Mechanical fan may not be up to the task.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelarroz View Post
    Hi Philippe
    You said your car has a belt driven fan.
    Series 2/3 cars should have electric fan actuated by a thermo switch located in the bottom of the radiator. Mechanical fan may not be up to the task.
    Well,my car is like that.I did order a new temp sensor.The infrared sensor is a good idea.I will have a look at the thermostat.The car is coming from Italy,so it should have show too low temp.

Thread Information