Thread: Beta master cylinder rebuild

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Beta master cylinder rebuild

After bleeding the Zagato's brakes for 2 weeks now, I still have a soft mushy pedal and have decided to try to re-build the master cylinder.
    I can get the circlip out, the first washer and seal....but that's it. I can't seem to get the piston out. I've tried using compressed air but still no luck.
    Does any one have any suggestions on how to strip the master cylinder.
    Todd
    76 Scorpion
    77 Beta coupe
    82 Zagato
    61 Flaminia PF Coupe
    63 Flaminia Touring 3C GT
    77 BMW 530i
    78 Beta HPE

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Beta master cylinder rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D. View Post
    After bleeding the Zagato's brakes for 2 weeks now, I still have a soft mushy pedal and have decided to try to re-build the master cylinder.
    I can get the circlip out, the first washer and seal....but that's it. I can't seem to get the piston out. I've tried using compressed air but still no luck.
    Does any one have any suggestions on how to strip the master cylinder.
    Todd
    Todd, I can feel with you. I had 2 master cylinders with stuck pistons on my 75 Berlina. I gave up and bought a new one from Bayless. But that one is not original and the lower flare nut was impossible to tighten (no stop screw, but a dome right next to the connection making it impossible to turn a wrench ). But this was on the Berlina. Maybe the Zagato is different. You need space forward of
    the connection to turn the wrench.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Its possibly corroded in the bore , try getting ome Krool oil & puring it into the bore & leaving it to soak for a day or two, I find this works really good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Happy Canada Day everyone.
    I'm still tinkering with the master cylinder. The pistons move in the bore fine but the nylon washer just does not want to budge. I've soaked it well and put a lot of air through it. I'd really like to rescue this cylinder and the 7 others I've accumulated as it would seem oem cylinders don't exist anymore and the common replacements are similar but difficult to install as Herby found out.
    The schematic from the shop manual clearly shows a passage leading to the area that is stuck on the bottom near the base. I've cleared it out and soaked it well. My thinking is that the hole is there to weep brake fluid from in case the plunger guide bush seal fails.....sort of like the weep hole on water pumps. Is that correct or is the hole there to stick a rod into to persuade the plastic washer out.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180701_124829.jpg   20180701_124852_Burst01.jpg  
    76 Scorpion
    77 Beta coupe
    82 Zagato
    61 Flaminia PF Coupe
    63 Flaminia Touring 3C GT
    77 BMW 530i
    78 Beta HPE

Thread Information