Thread: Coupe Gearbox RHD and LHD differences

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Coupe Gearbox RHD and LHD differences

I have a mechanically injected Flavia Coupe that may need a replacement transaxle. The gearbox number on left hand drive cars is type 815.430, and on RHD 815.431. Does anyone know what, (if any) differences there are between a LHD and RHD coded box?

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Coupe Gearbox RHD and LHD differences

I never would have guessed there was a difference. I suppose it could have to do with clearance from the steering box or the center link between steering box and idler.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

The main difference is the clutch lever, being placed at the rhd side.
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've noticed looking at online pics that the bell housing is different from LHD to RHD to accommodate a reversal of the clutch lever. The gear selector, input lever always appears to be on the right side. I will have to carefully examine pics of each variant to determine if, as Ed suggested, the steering components may have dictated an alteration of the gearbox casing.

Ultimately I would rather save my existing box, as it's probably the original one. It has been suggested to me that it may be easier and cheaper to simply replace it, rather than have it opened up to re-shim the ring and pinion.

I have a also wondered if its noise could be from an output shaft bearing. I understand that these are somewhat of a weak spot and it would appear to me that they would be the first place to go dry if the gearbox oil level hasn't been kept full.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

The gearbox casing is the same for 815.430 and 815.431. Part no 1290329 from spare parts catalogue tavola 30 resp. 31A. There are some components of the gear selector linkage that carry rhd index origin but as far as I can see, that is related to column gear change versions (Berlina) not to the floor change versions.
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info. I've have the tavolos and manuals for Fulvia and Flaminia but not yet for the Flavia as it's the first one that I've owned.

Thread Information