Thread: ball joint boot

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

ball joint boot

Hello,

Has anyone seen the two different ball joint caps as shown in the attachment? The new FRAPP boot fits the cap on the left perfectly but not at all on the right one.

Thanks.
    Rich
    '67 Sport
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1811[1].JPG  

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Re: ball joint boot

i remember having some trouble when i replaced mine. i could get the boot to fit over the cap, but the retainer wouldn't go on without modification. your cap looks too big for the boot for sure. i wonder if there were different boots available back then. i haven't seen different ones offered for sale.
    you may have to look for another cap, or modify the one you have to match the other.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: ball joint boot

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i remember having some trouble when i replaced mine. i could get the boot to fit over the cap, but the retainer wouldn't go on without modification. your cap looks too big for the boot for sure. i wonder if there were different boots available back then. i haven't seen different ones offered for sale.
    you may have to look for another cap, or modify the one you have to match the other.
    I agree. A shop in LA who has worked on quite a few Fulvias over the years confirmed that the cap on the left is what a car they worked on recently had and the boot from the FRAPP kit fit really well including the sheetmetal retainer. They didn't recognize the cap on the right. Mike back east is looking right now for two more for the upper arms for me so I can then complete the re-assembly. The cap on the right has to have been for an earlier boot design. I think all four boots on my car were separated from the caps probably because the "newer" cap was not available and/or maybe not even known about.

Thanks for thr input.

Rich

Thread Information