Page 72 of 77 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

My uncle did all the tweaking he wanted to do with the hood off the car. He re-attached the inner frame back to the hood with rivets in case it has to come back apart, but here's a picture of it before he tweaked it to fit the body of the car. It's starting to look very promising (should have taken a picture after he got it to fit the lines better.

According to him, the spare hood I had was actually in worse shape even though the dents look less severe because the aluminum has some cracking near the dents so it would require grinding and welding to fix.

I pulled up the old insulation in the trunk and then spent several hours after that getting all the adhesive off. I have new fat mat insulation that I like better than the lightweight stuff. It was a nightmare to get all the adhesive off but Goop Gone worked pretty well to soften it. I ended up scuffing all the paint and giving it a coat of zero rust because there were two spots where the paint lifted because too much heat was applied removing the undercoating.

While the fresh black paint was drying I put down some insulation in the front.

Then today, I got the trunk done and the seams all taped with aluminum tape. Gives it a neater appearance IMO.

This stuff takes some elbow grease and sometimes heat to work into all the nooks and crannies, but when you get it into place it sticks very well. In places with air bubbles you can just put a little slit in it to let the air out.

I also got around to making the new fuel lines and did a much better job with the help of my dad. The material is WAY stronger than the aluminum but it is still not bad to bend and tolerates tweaking it by hand some too without kinking.

For now I only flared the back side. I am undecided about the clips still and want to leave open options for protecting the cable at the clamp locations with heatshrink or something. I'll probably get the brake lines done next (re-doing all of them) because I have 25 feet of the stuff so I might as well use it.

I really need to get a move on with stripping the engine bay and getting ready for paint but next weekend I have to work all weekend so It'll likely be August 3rd before I can do that. I can already feel I'm going to be working on this thing after work as I near the car show in October.

Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have a sense of how much difference the sound-deadening will make to road noise?
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Professorgearhead View Post
    Do you have a sense of how much difference the sound-deadening will make to road noise?
    Honestly I don't. And when the car is back together it'll be so long since the last time I drove it I won't be able to tell how much difference it made.

I'm sure there are some objective reviews of the stuff online. Maybe taking decibel readings before and after, etc. but I didn't look at anything more than amazon reviews of the product before buying. It seems to be very similar to dynamat, but is thicker and half as expensive.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know Fulvia's are noisy by modern standards, and too much noise can be wearing, but don't damp out all the sounds, half the fun driving my 2c is listening to her working, and with that lovely V4 blat when pushed.
    A gave a Lancia Fulvia enthusiast a ride and let him have the wheel as well, a couple of days ago.
    He is thinking of buying a Fulvia Berlina and came armed with a decibel meter, funny enough it showed 72db when in top gear at 60 mph, and the same idling with the bonnet open.
    Pushed during acceleration showed 78db.
    He seemed to find that quite acceptable.
    The back silencer's packing has been failing for the last 5 years or so, and she has got progressively noiser, while no longer sounding so much the refined Berlina she used to be.
    The silencer is stainless steel I need to get it opened, repacked, and welded back together, but to be honest I quite like it the way it is.
    Brian
    Last edited by fay66; 22nd July 2019 at 03:55 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    I know Fulvia's are noisy by modern standards, and too much noise can be wearing, but don't damp out all the sounds, half the fun driving my 2c is listening to her working, and with that lovely V4 blat when pushed.
    A gave a Lancia Fulvia enthusiast a ride and let him have the wheel as well, a couple of days ago.
    He is thinking of buying a Fulvia Berlina and came armed with a decibel meter, funny enough it showed 72db when in top gear at 60 mph, and the same idling with the bonnet open.
    Pushed during acceleration showed 78db.
    He seemed to find that quite acceptable.
    The back silencer's packing has been failing for the last 5 years or so, and she has got progressively noiser, while no longer sounding so much the refined Berlina she used to be.
    The silencer is stainless steel I need to get it opened, repacked, and welded back together, but to be honest I quite like it the way it is.
    Brian
    I don't think 72db is bad at all. I'm really not overly concerned with the noise in the car, but I needed to put some form of insulation down. The factory had that asphalt paper? kind of stuff. I'm honestly not sure what that stuff was made of, but the Fatmat seems like a good option to replace it. Pretty easy to install, not too expensive, definitely doesn't have asbestos, etc. Also for anyone wondering, a 50 sq ft roll is PLENTY to do a whole Fulvia coupe

Downloads
    Uploads

To save weight, Fanalones were built with no sound deadening at all. So when I redid my interior a dozen years ago I added Dynamat in the floor (road noise & exhaust heat) and the roof (solar heat); it took care of both. But by no stretch of the imagination is the car quiet, even with the windows closed; none of these measures do anything about wind noise, and exhaust noise mostly comes in through the windows -- not through the cabin floor.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

In the Lancia brochure it says:
    "Heat insulation and deadening of passenger compartment is ensured by 80 kg of felts and anti-droining material."!
    Hence they skipped it at the Fanalone.

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    To save weight, Fanalones were built with no sound deadening at all. So when I redid my interior a dozen years ago I added Dynamat in the floor (road noise & exhaust heat) and the roof (solar heat); it took care of both. But by no stretch of the imagination is the car quiet, even with the windows closed; none of these measures do anything about wind noise, and exhaust noise mostly comes in through the windows -- not through the cabin floor.
    ---------------------------
    Fulvia coupé - 1968

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Castagnero View Post
    In the Lancia brochure it says:
    "Heat insulation and deadening of passenger compartment is ensured by 80 kg of felts and anti-droining material."!
    Hence they skipped it at the Fanalone.
    They saved about 25 kg by using acrylic instead of glass, side & rear. And the windshield is thinner, as are the brake rotors. No door jamb lights, and driver's-side only courtesy light switch. And between undercoating and felts, sound deadening adds a lot of weight, as you note. So the Fanalones only have a thin 'felt' at the firewall. They need underfloor insulation against exhaust heat as much as road noise; the modern adhered mats handle both.

So I think it'll have real benefit for Tad. Road noise isn't a particularly big deal, but on the other hand it has nothing positive to add to the sensory experience of driving a Fulvia; after all, the enjoyable exhaust and induction sounds don't come through the floor. So there's no downside other than a little weight.

And the exhaust heat insulation is very useful. A couple of years ago, the ALC West Coast Reunion was in the foothills of the Sierras, near Death Valley, in 100F+ temps; same with the drive there and back from LA through the Mojave in the same temperatures. The car's orange, but the interior is black, which wouldn't be the first choice at 103F ambient. It would not have been manageable without the insulation.
    Last edited by 1,6 HF; 23rd July 2019 at 02:03 PM.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    They saved about 25 kg by using acrylic instead of glass, side & rear. And the windshield is thinner, as are the brake rotors. No door jamb lights, and driver's-side only courtesy light switch. And between undercoating and felts, sound deadening adds a lot of weight, as you note. So the Fanalones only have a thin 'felt' at the firewall. They need underfloor insulation against exhaust heat as much as road noise; the modern adhered mats handle both.

So I think it'll have real benefit for Tad. Road noise isn't a particularly big deal, but on the other hand it has nothing positive to add to the sensory experience of driving a Fulvia; after all, the enjoyable exhaust and induction sounds don't come through the floor. So there's no downside other than a little weight.

And the exhaust heat insulation is very useful. A couple of years ago, the ALC West Coast Reunion was in the foothills of the Sierras, near Death Valley, in 100F+ temps; same with the drive to there and back forth from LA through the Mojave in the same temperatures. The car's orange, but the interior is black, which wouldn't be the first choice at 103F ambient. It would not have been manageable without the insulation.
    Going as far as removing the door switch on the passenger side seems pretty extreme but I guess every bit counts!

I'm glad to hear that the insulation made a noticeable difference with heat. Summers here in the south are pretty bad, but not impossible to survive without AC. My friends first car in highschool was a hand-me-down beat up E34 that didn't have a working AC (non-operational AC describes pretty much every 90s BMW i think). The only major downsides were arriving at our destination slightly sweaty and girls not wanting to ride in it because the windows had to be down and it would mess up their hair lol

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been trying to start working on all the little things during the week so that when I do need to assemble them to the car they won't hold me up. Last night I worked on the steering idler and the rear hubs and had issues with both.

The steering idler, from when I had such a hard time removing the arm, has some damaged threads at it's tip. I'm assuming maybe a die is the correct way to fix this?

And now to the hubs. I've been soaking them in Acetone/ATF for a week now because the bearings did not want to come out. Finally after this long soak they pressed out without too much fuss. However, I have encountered the third type of wheel bearing for this car, the FAG ones. These are shielded bearings and have what appears to be a stamped brass cage. It does not appear that these bearings can be dissasembled? Has anyone taken these apart before? If so let me know what the trick is. The inner race is not free to come out as with the SKF and RIV versions of the bearing. I tried to tilt the race one direction and get a ball out but they are captive in the stamped brass/bronze race.

I should still be able to clean out all the old grease and repack as they are, but I wanted to be able to inspect the races before putting them back in the hub. Here are a couple pictures of them.

And I just got my rotors back from the shop.. Turned out all the grooves nicely.

Thread Information