Page 65 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GlynW View Post
    Good call to replace the driver's floor section, rather than just patch it. Mine was very similar and had rotted out in the front corner, near the sill. However, as hard as I tried to patch it, the distortion to the remaining floor meant that it flexed like a biscuit-tin lid every time I put weight on it. In the end I removed the whole section and fitted a rigid, ready-made panel. That also made fitting heat-sealed, waterproof panel-deadening material to the floor much easier.
    Glyn

You described my situation perfectly; the old floor was very flimsy. It was really only rotten through in the front corner so I felt like it didn't need replacing at first, but the rigidity before and after replacing it is night and day difference. I feel like I could stand on top of this new floor without flexing it (maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but it feels very stiff!). Definitely happy I decided to replace it.

Downloads
    Uploads

i would seam weld it. just take your time. cover the weld with seam sealer when finished.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i would seam weld it. just take your time. cover the weld with seam sealer when finished.
    Seam weld it is then. I already have several tacks in those areas every few inches so it won't be too much trouble to skip around and seam in between the spots until it's all welded up.

What kind of seam sealer did you use? I used some 3M clear stuff in a tube on the outer sill patch i did but I sort of dislike that it's clear because I can't see how good my coverage is...

Downloads
    Uploads

there's lots to choose from for seam sealer. i hardly use brush on sealer any more unless i'm trying to match an existing texture. for new applications i prefer to use a two part sealer like fusor. it comes in a variety of packaging options. i like the mini tubes that use a two plunger gun. these are two part sealers that use a static mix tube attached to the end of the tube. you can just throw away the mix tube after application and cap the cartridge for future use. these two part seam sealers are far superior to what we used to use back in the day.
    they also package it for use in standard caulking guns if you don't want to get a dedicated two plunger gun.
    look at this: https://www.lord.com/products-and-so...ler-%28slow%29

you can get it in many colors including factory match if needed.

here's black one part in a standard cartridge:http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=JASS
    it's not the two part, but it's good stuff too
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Downloads
    Uploads

there's lots to choose from for seam sealer. i hardly use brush on sealer any more unless i'm trying to match an existing texture. for new applications i prefer to use a two part sealer like fusor. it comes in a variety of packaging options. i like the mini tubes that use a two plunger gun. these are two part sealers that use a static mix tube attached to the end of the tube. you can just throw away the mix tube after application and cap the cartridge for future use. these two part seam sealers are far superior to what we used to use back in the day.
    they also package it for use in standard caulking guns if you don't want to get a dedicated two plunger gun.
    look at this: https://www.lord.com/products-and-so...ler-%28slow%29

you can get it in many colors including factory match if needed.

here's black one part in a standard cartridge:http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=JASS
    it's not the two part, but it's good stuff too
    Thanks for the info and links! I just put in an order for some of the one part black.

Downloads
    Uploads

great, i hope you like it. the link i sent of the one part is also attached to one of the best forums on autobody repair. there's several professionals that monitor the posts and provide almost instant response to questions from diy guys and professionals alike. if you need any autobody advice these are good people to talk to.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Downloads
    Uploads

Made some more good progress this weekend. Only thing left to do is the drives side rear inner wheel arch.

Started out by seam welding all the floors to the sills. Took my time and really didn't have any deformation in the floors.

After that I took off the last patch that the previous owner had placed on and surprise.... more rust!!

Didn't take any pictures because you guys know the drill at this point... Cut out the rust, Fab a new B pillar box, Weld in the piece that goes between the sills. After getting that piece fully welded in, I made this floor patch.

And here it is welded out.

So next weekend I'll work on getting the inner arch done and hopefully make some progress towards being able to paint and undercoat the entire bottom of the car. I have most of the undercoating off at this point but there's a lot of welds to grind flush and some chemical stripping to do before I can start sparying on zero rust paint and 3M undercoating.

Downloads
    Uploads

way to keep after it Austin. you're seeing the finish line now. i'm really impressed with the progress you've made, and your skill level has improved quite a lot since you started.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Downloads
    Uploads

way to keep after it Austin. you're seeing the finish line now. i'm really impressed with the progress you've made, and your skill level has improved quite a lot since you started.
    Thanks Brian! I definitely feel like my skill level has improved tremendously over these past few months. I'm much more confident welding on thin sheet metal and forming patches now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Last Thursday marked one whole year since I started this progress thread. Looking back this has gone so differently than I initially intended, but I'm very happy with my progress and the skills I've gained (and will gain). This weekend I hit a big milestone: the body work is DONE. Finally I can come home without burn marks from welding upside down!

This weekend I cut out the drivers rear inner arch and replaced it. Turns out it's easier to replace when it's more rusted. I was able to remove it much more easily than the other side.

Then I added the last patch that the car needed right at the front of rear wheel well. After that, I grabbed the angle grinder and cut out all the bracing. I have to admit that I was a bit scared to cut the bracing and have the car pop or move but I'm glad to report no popping and no changes in the gaps around the doors. All seems to have stayed in place!

After than I sanded down all the welds inside the car and called it a day. I should be able to grind the welds underneath the car and hopefully start painting inside and underneath the car this upcoming weekend. I'm really excited to start re-assembling the car!

Bonus picture: I decided to make some sushi

Thread Information