Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Quote Originally Posted by boulderz View Post
    Learning French seems on par with your current efforts and all that you've taught yourself about body work, are you going to let a little language barrier get in the way??
    Haha well now that you mention it I do wish that I knew more languages... A lot of my colleagues speak 2-3 languages and it makes me feel lazy sometimes.

I do think I'm slowly learning what I'm going to refer to as "Car Italian" from all my ebay.it browsing sessions lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    Thanks Tor!

It's Austin by the way
    You got me

Cheers

Tor

Downloads
    Uploads

I think for maybe the first time ever, I got around to doing everything I wanted to in a single weekend.

Started out by welding in the rest of the rear inner arch (much easier to fit the back half) and then patched up the front and back of the wheel arch where in the front I had removed it for access to the sill and in the back it had a patch by the PO to cover up some rust.

After that I moved on to making the floor piece (again) and this time I opted to go for a full length piece instead of two. This meant that our little brake wouldn't bend the 18 gauge metal over . I ended up having to hammer form the whole thing to get it to match the pattern of the omicron floor. But Eventually I got there. It's partially welded in now, but I'll get it finished up next weekend.

I'm not really sure why the omicron floor has this step in it anyway honestly.. As it came from the factory I'm pretty sure it just had a bead rolled in it the whole length down. But since I used their floor panel it only made sense to match the pattern they used.

After that the only thing left to do was to fit the oval panel on the front. This panel didn't fit right off the bat so I ended up having to form it a little bit. In the end some self tapping screws helped to get it to fit the curve just about perfectly. again with this piece, not 100% welded out.

Next weekend I'll probably take it easy and just finish up the welds on the floor and oval panel and maybe get around to finishing up the engine test stand I'm building. I won't have as much time to work since I leave for Britain on the 1st.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question for those who have re-done their front suspension. Yesterday I cleaned all my leaf springs for the front traverse spring and noticed instead of rubber in between like in the back, there is a very thin paper of sorts. The leafs were disgustingly greasing and I just threw away the paper stuff. Does anyone know what the material is or what I can use to replace it? The rear leafspring rubber I can just buy in rolls, but I'm assuming since the factory didn't use it, I should not put the rubber in between the front springs?

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good, hope everything comes together quick. Looks like you have lots of tacks and grinding to finish. As for the transverse leaf gasket, I know I’ve seen a thread discussing it. Pretty sure it’s available somewhere. Maybe Mike Kristick has some?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by boulderz View Post
    Looking good, hope everything comes together quick. Looks like you have lots of tacks and grinding to finish. As for the transverse leaf gasket, I know I’ve seen a thread discussing it. Pretty sure it’s available somewhere. Maybe Mike Kristick has some?

Thanks! Yes tons of plug welds and a few long seams to grind flush. I sort of gave up on grinding as I went so that I could actually get all the panels in. So once I'm done with the left side I'll have a full day of grinding ahead of me probably lol. Time to go buy a 100 pack of 3M file sander belts...

I did some searching here and found Ed L had mentioned using PTFE (Teflon) strips but that stuff is quite expensive in sheet form. Different people online have mentioned using UHMW strips and claim the same results for half the price.. I'll probably end up buying a roll from mcmastercarr or similar and just cut it to length for the leaves.

Any progress on your metalwork? I imagine it's starting to be warm enough to work up there

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Thanks! Yes tons of plug welds and a few long seams to grind flush. I sort of gave up on grinding as I went so that I could actually get all the panels in. So once I'm done with the left side I'll have a full day of grinding ahead of me probably lol. Time to go buy a 100 pack of 3M file sander belts...

I did some searching here and found Ed L had mentioned using PTFE (Teflon) strips but that stuff is quite expensive in sheet form. Different people online have mentioned using UHMW strips and claim the same results for half the price.. I'll probably end up buying a roll from mcmastercarr or similar and just cut it to length for the leaves.

Any progress on your metalwork? I imagine it's starting to be warm enough to work up there
    both ptfe and uhmw would be good choices for the interleave material. if you use thicker sections i'd go with the ptfe. if using thin i'd go with the uhmw. crown plastics makes a product called dura-surf that would be a good choice, there's a couple of options there. i typically use the natural uhmw as it's non conductive and good for the r.f. systems i use it on. but there's also a silicone impregnated version that i'd have a look at. the stuff comes with pressure sensitive adhesive backing so you could adhere it (to the bottom sides of the leaves) and be sure it wouldn't slip around during installation or driving.
    certainly you could just do the same thing yourself and buy the roll and apply the adhesive to it. the 3m pressure sensitive stuff is awesome.
    how thick of material is recommended for the strips? this discussion has me thinking... i have some dura surf left over from a recent job. it's pretty thick though at .090.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    both ptfe and uhmw would be good choices for the interleave material. if you use thicker sections i'd go with the ptfe. if using thin i'd go with the uhmw. crown plastics makes a product called dura-surf that would be a good choice, there's a couple of options there. i typically use the natural uhmw as it's non conductive and good for the r.f. systems i use it on. but there's also a silicone impregnated version that i'd have a look at. the stuff comes with pressure sensitive adhesive backing so you could adhere it (to the bottom sides of the leaves) and be sure it wouldn't slip around during installation or driving.
    certainly you could just do the same thing yourself and buy the roll and apply the adhesive to it. the 3m pressure sensitive stuff is awesome.
    how thick of material is recommended for the strips? this discussion has me thinking... i have some dura surf left over from a recent job. it's pretty thick though at .090.
    From just looking around the internet it seems common to use either 1/16 or 1/32 thickness. Thanks for the info by the way! I'll definitely have a look at those products.

Downloads
    Uploads

Use the thinnest you can find, and there's no need for any adhesive; the leaves will hold it in place
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah, I wish I had the time but I have to live vicariously through you and others restoring Fulvias like Racer.. I'm just at a different stage than a lot of guys on here I'm guessing, have 3 young kids all in school all doing different activities and sports - I work for myself so time is very tight. But I have amassed enough projects to keep me busy the rest of my life. Using this time to collect parts, work on them when there's time and learn all I can as I slowly progress towards restoring the HF. I also have a 72 1.3S that keeps me busy and a 66 which is stripped and in need of body work. I have others too that I kid myself into thinking I have time to deal with...

Watching progress like yours is great for motivation though!

Thread Information