Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Didn't accomplish much over the weekend, but last night I installed my new water pump, disassembled the fan (removing that first bearing was a real bitch), cleaned everything up, pressed new bearings and reassembled.

Here's a picture of the inside of the new water pump... Definitely an improvement over the old corroded one. Here's to hoping it fixes my overheating issue.

Here are some pictures of the fan disassembly and re-build. Had to get pretty creative to remove the spindle nut. At my dad's business there's a "hot rod" shop with every tool you would ever need including a mill, lathe, press brake, etc. But here at the house I don't even have a vise. Used two of these clamps and a steel pin and hammer to back the nut off. Threads on the shaft end were messed up for some reason, but the nut formed them back okay. Ended up having to heat the fan housing a bit to pull the bearings. It was a struggle, but after stabbing myself a few times in the hand with a screwdriver as a form of sacrifice, the bearings relented.

All back together with brand new SKF bearings! (of Italian origin no less @bmarler )

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent work! The deep parts of my engine bay look filthy next to yours . . . I feel like I need to start cleaning . . . but I'll just assume all that old grease and oil is preventing corrosion.

Interesting that the mechanical fan blades aren't at 90 deg - never noticed that before.

-Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mpcart View Post
    Excellent work! The deep parts of my engine bay look filthy next to yours . . . I feel like I need to start cleaning . . . but I'll just assume all that old grease and oil is preventing corrosion.

Interesting that the mechanical fan blades aren't at 90 deg - never noticed that before.

-Mike

Thanks! Cleaning up the engine really didn't take much time since I already had the fan, starter, and generator out of the way. Without those removed it probably would be a harder job.

I only noticed that they weren't equally spaced when I removed it from the car. Definitely interesting! Unsure what the reason for that might be

Downloads
    Uploads

The mechanical fan and pillar of the series 1 Fulvia is a real work of art, although mine needs a good clean at present it polishes up beautifully, however I have painted the top half an inch of each blade red (yellow is equally effective) as a warning, as it is very easy to stick your fingers in the fan by accident.

Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

The unequal setting of the fan blades is a noise reduction feature. I don't know the exact aerodynamic reasons, but it seems they won't make (or have less) the typical fan whirling resonations that way. Don't ask me about the theory behind it.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Regarding the fan, that theory seems to make sense to me. I don't really know much about aerodynamics except for the flow CFDs I do at work, but those are generally more about heat than airflow or noise, etc.

Small Update/Question:

I got my tank back from Moyer and I think it looks pretty good! They do warn that the rubberized material on the outside is thick and may not be pretty. You can see some brush strokes, etc, but I'm not really concerned with the aesthetics of my gas tank. Hopefully the material is as permanent as they claim!

The question I have.. they taped off the area where the sender unit goes, but it did get a coat of flat black it seems. I'm wondering if the fuel sender grounds itself through the tank? I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it could have been grounding through the tank and through the screws that hold it to the shell of the car? basically just wondering if i should try to remove that flat black at the sender unit or just leave it. Haven't wired it back up yet to ensure it still works. I'll probably get around to installing all the tank pieces back onto the car this weekend.

Still waiting on both thinner insulation for my armature and/or the NOS armature to arrive. They'll probably both get here around the same time later this week so I may throw the car back together for a test run this weekend. Pictures to come of the NOS armature/dynamo rebuild results and the final tank install when I get it all back together. For now, here's a picture of the tank just sitting in the car (basically just making sure the insulation wasn't too thick for the tank to sit correctly.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would need to check, but there is not seperate ground wire to the sender. So I guess it makes contact with the tank;, and the tank with the chassis (it better does, the latter, because of static electricity fire hazard).

When you use self tapping screws, my guess it will make contact anyway with the tank. Better ensure the tank itself will have contact with the chassis.

What I did - recalling all these bad ground connections on my Dad's Flavia in the sixties - is provide separate ground wires for the majority of electrical stuff. So I did provide a separate ground wire (one main ground wire going to the rear, splitting there to the rear lights etc).
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    The unequal setting of the fan blades is a noise reduction feature. I don't know the exact aerodynamic reasons, but it seems they won't make (or have less) the typical fan whirling resonations that way. Don't ask me about the theory behind it.

likely that equally spaced blades can more readily generate a wave at a resonating frequency, whereas unequal spaced blades can't. Its why troops break step walking across a bridge - can't reach resonance that way.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    I would need to check, but there is not seperate ground wire to the sender. So I guess it makes contact with the tank;, and the tank with the chassis (it better does, the latter, because of static electricity fire hazard).

When you use self tapping screws, my guess it will make contact anyway with the tank. Better ensure the tank itself will have contact with the chassis.

What I did - recalling all these bad ground connections on my Dad's Flavia in the sixties - is provide separate ground wires for the majority of electrical stuff. So I did provide a separate ground wire (one main ground wire going to the rear, splitting there to the rear lights etc).

That's exactly what I was contemplating doing, except I hadn't though to run one main ground back for all components. Should be easy enough to ground the tank with a wire by of the connections to the body, and then shave the paint off where the sender goes.

Definitely a good idea to have the tank grounded well just from a safety standpoint. I'm sure it's unlikely enough static electricity could build up to cause gas fumes to ignite when filling up or something but you never know!

Downloads
    Uploads

Can't see much point in scraping the sender mounting point, as the sender is insulated from the tank by a rubber sealing gasket, so any earth must be through the fixing screws.
    Brian

Thread Information